Mrs.Nesbit's Diner - Message Board / Forum

At CC

You are not logged in.

Announcement

WebSite Links: CC HomePage  MrsNesbits Homepage  Guinea Pigs Home Crochet Home  The CC Store

Pic Of The week

Happy Christmas & Merry New Year
Categories and forums are based on the topics generated by our Members.

#11 03-29-2008 10:12:58

AKA Steve
Web Master
Website

Re: Some parrot pictures!

I do sympathize, parrots live a long time and have plenty of time to establish irreversible habits, before someone who really cares about them gets a hold of them.
The diet you describe sounds perfect to me, and it also sounds like she is providing plenty of entertainment,
not much else you can do except, put an anti plucking collar on them.

BTW is that a Congo, African, Grey? I would think that would be the really temperamental one big_smile

Nesbits Avatar: Arnold Rimmer - the Hologram, and his friend Mr. Flibble
www.mrsnesbitsdiner.com/forum   Nesbits Forum

#12 03-30-2008 06:21:19

PurpleChicken
Gold Member

Pellet mix for parrots?  I've seen the stuff that looks like catfood and smells
sweet.  Vinny (Nanday Conure) won't touch them.  I've tried blending with
seeds and even giving her (Yes Vinny is a her) just the pellets but she just
won't eat them.  She doesn't eat or shell bigger seeds like sunflower or pumpkin
either.  Most of the time her seed mix is a cockatiel blend because the Conyer
blends have so many things that get wasted.  She gets apples, pears, pasta,
various berries, cereals, and generally whatever we are eating.  She isn't
much for raw veggies.

I know a Conyer isn't quite a parrot but she sure is as loud as one.  I'd love
a cockatoo but have had friends with them.  My God are they a loud high
maintenance bird. 

We are gonna build a nice sunroom when we build our next house and get a few
more parrots to live in the room.  It would be nice to start our own little rescue.

Good post Chickerdoodle.  I always learn a lot from and enjoy reading the
parrot threads.  huga

Don

May A Chicken Smile Upon You

#13 03-30-2008 09:33:57

Chickerdoodle13
Silver Member

PC,

Conures are pretty picky food wise! I would say your diet seems fine. Some of the birds we have at the sacntuary will only eat seeds, so special things always have to be ordered for them. Another African grey will only eat pellets and no treats. The lovebirds we have get these little round pellets and the cockatiels/parakeets get seed mix.

Parrots are tough because you can't force them to eat ANYTHING! If they don't want what you give them, they won't eat it! Most all parrots would rather starve than eat something they don't like.

We only have two sun conures and another green and blue conure (forget the name), but they are VERY loud. Especially the sun conures! They are also pretty nasty! Is yours friendly? Ours love treats though.

Barg,

I know what you mean about the habits! Some of the birds she has gotten in are pretty old, the oldest being 60. You can just tell he has had a crappy life. We try the hardest we can, but it's like working in a hospital for people with special needs.

I think Smoochy is an African grey. She has three of those, and Rambo actually has a tumor in his nose. He was super lucky to find her because she brings him to the vet all the time and has spent thousands upon thousands of dollars trying to get rid of the tumor. He gets wonderful care from her, but he is kind of mean! Munchkin (the newest one) is one of the nastiest birds I have ever met! She used to come near the bars of the cage when you were near and bang her head against anything near. I always thought she would seriously injure herself! Smoochy is a sweet heart, but he used to bite terribly! He will now put his gentle little mouth all over your hands, but rarely ever bites hard enough to hurt! He came from a pretty good life though. His owner passed away and that's how my boss got him.

#14 03-30-2008 11:06:08

lacyloo
Platinum Member

cute birds. very smart

One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, black fish, blue fish, old fish, new fish … say what a lot of fish there are.

#15 03-30-2008 06:11:16

PurpleChicken
Gold Member

Chickerdoodle13 wrote:

PC,

Conures are pretty picky food wise! I would say your diet seems fine. Some of the birds we have at the sacntuary will only eat seeds, so special things always have to be ordered for them. Another African grey will only eat pellets and no treats. The lovebirds we have get these little round pellets and the cockatiels/parakeets get seed mix.

Parrots are tough because you can't force them to eat ANYTHING! If they don't want what you give them, they won't eat it! Most all parrots would rather starve than eat something they don't like.

We only have two sun conures and another green and blue conure (forget the name), but they are VERY loud. Especially the sun conures! They are also pretty nasty! Is yours friendly? Ours love treats though.

Great information!!!  You made me feel a lot better.  I've always worried about her diet but she is a very
healthy 16 year old.  We got her from a breeder in Georgia when she was just a baby.

She is friendly to people she likes.  She will go to very few men except for me and my friend Mike,
who also has birds.  It's amazing how birds sense things.  She's become very attached to my son too
but that took years.  I have a feeling if you walked in our house she would chew her way through
the cage to come snuggle on your shoulder.  smile

Truth is it's a love hate thing with her.  Sometimes the squawking makes me wanna kill her.  Her favorite
thing is to be on my shoulder when I'm playing video games and she loves to sing along to LOUD MUSIC.
She's quite the head banger.

Her cage in our kitchen next to the brooder cages.

Last edited by PurpleChicken (03-30-2008 06:13:39)

#16 03-30-2008 06:15:44

Queen of the Lilliputians
Gone fishing
Website

Beautiful birds!

PC- I LOVE how she's watching the babies!  What a sweet picture!

Former ruler-wielding nun at a catholic school

#17 03-30-2008 06:22:36

Chickerdoodle13
Silver Member

She's beautiful PC!

I know what you mean about the screaming! Sometimes I just want to strangle some of the birds! haha Most of them are just big babies looking for attention though.

I just watched that movie Paulie the other night. There was a nanday conure in it! They are very cute birds, and it looks like you take excellent care of her! Many people keep them in much smaller cages than you have. Her feathers also look very healthy and she has a nice gleen in her eye.

It IS funny how they attach to different people! Reggie immediately formed a bond with me, but will try to bite my boss. He usually only gets to come out with me because I'm the only one who he'll come out to. When I'm away at school and I come back home to visit, he jumps back and forth on his perch like he is incredibly excited to see me! He's sooo adorable!

I have videos of Big bird being his hilarious self, but I'm not sure how to post those! I also have hundreds of other photos I will have to post (LOL, not all hundred, but I'll put up more!).

I would love to see everyone else's birds!

Last edited by Chickerdoodle13 (03-30-2008 06:24:20)

#18 03-30-2008 06:47:37

PurpleChicken
Gold Member

Please post more pics.  This is a very educational and also a "feel good" thread.

Vinny isn't all that fond of her current cage.  Her old one was a little smaller but she
knew how to open the door and both slides over the dishes so she could come out
whenever she wanted.  She was always in my bedroom with me.  When we bought
the house we live in now we had to keep her locked in because of the cieling fans
and dogs.

Queen, Yeah she really does watch the chicks.  At first she was a little uneasy but after
10 hatches she got used to them.

#19 03-30-2008 06:50:46

AKA Steve
Web Master
Website

PurpleChicken wrote:

Pellet mix for parrots?  I've seen the stuff that looks like catfood and smells
sweet.  Vinny (Nanday Conure) won't touch them.  I've tried blending with
seeds and even giving her (Yes Vinny is a her) just the pellets but she just
won't eat them.

One thing you can try to get them to eat pellets is to pour some fruit juice on them and let it soak in then add it to their fruit dish.

PurpleChicken wrote:

I know a Conyer isn't quite a parrot but she sure is as loud as one. 
We are gonna build a nice sunroom when we build our next house and get a few
more parrots to live in the room.  It would be nice to start our own little rescue.
Don

Conures are parrots, they are just smaller then some, and louder then many lol
Having had experience with many species, if you want a small parrot, I recommend the brown headed parrot.
Brown heads are comparable in size to conures but come from africa and don't make nearly the noise, they are smart and fairly decent talkers for their size.
If you want something larger, I recommend the eclectus parrot. they are beautiful birds, fairly quiet, and friendly.
If you want a serious talker, go with an amazon.
If you live alone and have no friends, get an african grey.
If you want the most affectionate bird, and you are a little hard of hearing, get a cockatoo. big_smile goffen, mollocan, or umbrella.
Ok if I talk about this anymore I'm gonna want to get another parrot, so I will stop.

Nesbits Avatar: Arnold Rimmer - the Hologram, and his friend Mr. Flibble
www.mrsnesbitsdiner.com/forum   Nesbits Forum

#20 03-30-2008 07:03:46

PurpleChicken
Gold Member

AKA Barg wrote:

If you live alone and have no friends, get an african grey.
If you want the most affectionate bird, and you are a little hard of hearing, get a cockatoo.

ofl  I guess an African Grey is in my future.  wink  Good stuff.  I have to google the parrots you listed.
I've had friends with cockatoos.  I think I'd rather get a rabid pit bull and cover myself in meat juice.
It seems like everyone I know who have had cockatoos no longer have cockatoos.  It's not the bird's
fault that people get pets without doing any real research.

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent