Mrs.Nesbit's Diner - Message Board / Forum

At CC

You are not logged in.

Announcement

WebSite Links: CC HomePage  MrsNesbits Homepage  Guinea Pigs Home Crochet Home  The CC Store

Pic Of The week

Happy Christmas & Merry New Year
Categories and forums are based on the topics generated by our Members.

#1 04-05-2008 10:24:22

WhitehallGamePullet

Is the U.S. going into a depression?

The way our economy is and how we are supposivly in a reccesion and the next thing on the economy coaster is a depression do you think the U.S. is headed for a Depression AGAIN?

#2 04-06-2008 08:37:39

BantyChickMom
The Hooker Coordinator

Re: Is the U.S. going into a depression?

I'm afraid so my friend.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho the rest of your life
                                            Tammy
                               www.mrsnesbitsdiner.com

#3 04-06-2008 09:04:41

lacyloo
Platinum Member

man I'm a youngster and I'm already planning on my meat rabbit operation to supply the family with meat through these times. Soon it will cost way to much to drive to the store. products and gas our already outrageous.
Mom said chicken in the store has gone up alot and we need to start eating more of ours.

I really wish everythng would drop atlest 3 $$ like gas a meats and stuff.

One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, black fish, blue fish, old fish, new fish … say what a lot of fish there are.

#4 04-06-2008 09:05:46

lacyloo
Platinum Member

plus if it really ,really, really got bad we have goats... shocked

One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, black fish, blue fish, old fish, new fish … say what a lot of fish there are.

#5 04-06-2008 09:43:47

Queen of the Lilliputians
Gone fishing
Website

A friend of mine made an interesting statement a few months ago.  She said that we USED to be into recycling/going back to the land as a choice.  With the price of everything she said it's becoming a necessity.

I don't know about depression.  What I do know is that it seems like the gov't isn't being quite honest about how bad it all is.  Our K-1 is now costing us over $4 a gallon.  Several times we've gone without buying it altogether for a few days (it still gets below freezing here at night), because frankly we don't have the money for it.  Thank goodness for the woodstove, but the house often stays quite cold (50-60).  The price of gas is astronomical, and we have a little compact car that is TERRIFIC on gas- it's still costing us way too much just for dh to get back and forth to work. 

I don't feel that old (early thirties) and in my lifetime I've seen the cost of everything dble, quadruple, then dble again.  And many of those increases have been in the last 5 years.  And what is the rate of raises?  something like 4% a year?  No idea how that is supposed to keep up with it.

And I'm the person who chooses not to kill anything unless it is in serious, unfixable pain.  Lately I've thought a lot about meat rabbits and such.  We want to build a root cellar.  Maybe I'm being alarmist.. but at the rate the economy is going here (and I'm sure in other states) often it feels like we can barely pay the bills, let alone buy groceries/medicine or save.

My personal opinion is that we are already in the midst of a recession.  Do I think we are headed for a depression?  Yeah, I guess I do unless something super drastic changes soon.  And I don't think that 'super drastic' measure is sending everyone a skimpy rebate check that they'll have to use to pay debt incurred up to that point.  But.. at least the utility companies/cc companies will be happy.

Just my .02.  That and another $1.25 will buy you a cup of coffee (remember when you could get a cup for 25 cents??)

Meghan

Former ruler-wielding nun at a catholic school

#6 04-06-2008 04:00:04

BantyChickMom
The Hooker Coordinator

You are not alone Meghan!!!!!
We are self employed and just about price ourselves out of jobs trying to estimate our gas expense for 6 months down the road.
Gas here jumped .10 in less than 24 hours!!!
For now, dh has been driving 30-40 miles each way to work, that costs us $100 a week in gas just for him!!!
Not to mention me doing a county wide tour daily getting 3 kids to 3 different schools.
Gas alone has made us cut out alot of other stuff, and these rebate checks coming back will not be spent as our Government says they will...........they will be spent on catching up those behind bills.  But, hey, I'm not stupid, I will take it any way I can get it.
As I say now that I could never kill and eat one of my pets, that may be where we're all headed, and I will adjust and do as necessary.
Yea, we could all stand to be more self sufficient cause our dear sweet government isn't doing anything to pull us
back to the shallow waters!!!!!!!!!

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho the rest of your life
                                            Tammy
                               www.mrsnesbitsdiner.com

#7 04-06-2008 04:30:39

paganfish
The Ancient Chicken Sage

A friend sent me this and it sort of made me laugh in a nervous laughter sort of way...

The New Five Dollar Bill

haha haha shocked haha haha

Last edited by paganfish (04-06-2008 04:31:08)

"I put a capital N on nature and call it my church."
-Frank Lloyd Wright
smile

#8 04-06-2008 04:46:53

PurpleChicken
Gold Member

No, we are not heading for a depression.  I highly recommend studying what a depression
is before asking such a question.  Questions like these bring out the worst in people.

May A Chicken Smile Upon You

#9 04-06-2008 05:39:53

Queen of the Lilliputians
Gone fishing
Website

PC-

you are correct, and I apologize.  I do not know the official meaning of 'depression' I suppose.  I personally was referring to it meaning financial hardships for vast quantities of families.. People forced to make due with very little because they cannot afford more.

At no point was I referring to the stock market here, because frankly I admit to not having paid attention lately.  My own predition was entirely based on my experiences and the experiences of the families I know.

I would be very interested to hear what you, PC, mean when you are referring to 'depression'?

Thanks (and very respectfully!)
Meghan

Former ruler-wielding nun at a catholic school

#10 04-06-2008 05:59:24

2dream
Silver Member

According to Merriam Webster Dictionary

de

I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it. (Jimmy Stewart as Elwood Dowd in Harvey)

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent