Mrs.Nesbit's Diner - Message Board / Forum

At CC

You are not logged in.

Announcement

WebSite Links: CC HomePage  MrsNesbits Homepage  Guinea Pigs Home Crochet Home  The CC Store

Pic Of The week

Happy Christmas & Merry New Year
Categories and forums are based on the topics generated by our Members.

#1 04-07-2008 11:26:38

Princess Fluffy Britches
I wear neat socks!

My big projects for 2008.... What are yours?

I have decided on five MAJOR projects, in my mind, to complete in 2008. I am hoping that by getting a few projects done each year, that my yard will eventually be how I want it, when we are able to tear down this house and build the new house. Maybe putting it here will help motivate me, because I have a habit of not finishing what I start. Being more active and getting out and doing stuff on nice days is supposed to help with my fibromyalgia, and exercise is not my strong suit. I love working in the yard, so maybe this will be just what the doctor ordered.

My projects:
1. Clear out plot for the perenial bed in the front yard by the road, and build the border around it.
2. Clear out thicket, cut trees and brush out, and prepare for fall planting of bulbs and perenials, and if we can afford it, get the stones out for the pathways.
3. Find the location for all the fruit trees on the list to purchase, purchase them and also plant them.
4. Clean and rebuild flower beds by the house.
5. Be vigilant about the vegitable garden. (I tend to plant and forget, and dh ends up having to do all the work)

Tomorrow, I actually plan on starting numbers 1 & 4, after the flea market. Since we are short on cash, the border around the front flower bed will have to wait, and the same for the other flower beds. But getting them cleaned out will be a big step in the right direction!

So..... What are your plans for this season?

A deputy and a hooker all rolled into one... what more could a man ask for?

Mom to seven kids..... 3 girls and 4 boys.

#2 04-08-2008 03:58:02

justusnak

Re: My big projects for 2008.... What are yours?

Ohhh, I have a few projects here as well. Lets seee......

1) Build a new Chicken coop. This one will be 12x30 and have 5 seperate pens.
2) Expand the garden....this year we are adding potatos. I wasnt sure how well they would do in this strange clay soil, so didnt plant them last year.
3) Plant Black berries, and one more apple tree.
4) clear the thicket. This thing is so over run with wisteria...its ALL coming out, I hope.
5) Get the swimming pool set up.This will mean haveing tons of sand brought in, and building a base for it.
6) Paint the barn, and porches on the house.
7) Get my prayer garden put in. I am planning it to be about 12 feet deep, and 30 ft long...with a white picket fence around it, and a medicine wheel in the middle.
IF I get at least half of them done, I will feel better! LOL

#3 04-08-2008 04:16:50

chickn
Double Platinum
Website

honey to do list...

fenced area for goats,,,that jack cant jump over !!!!

PUT SOME WINDOWS IN THAT COOP     why is she yelling???? cause she asks on a weekly basis,,,

get serious about which breeds to work with,,,,and stop bringing home anything,,,,,,,, and sell the rest,,,except that handful of favorites..

decide which toys and fun to give up so we can feed the family, gas the car, and keep the lights on,,,

frizzled polish and polish, sizzles and silkies, std cochins, mille d'uccles,
always interested in trading eggs

#4 04-08-2008 04:40:44

2dream
Silver Member

Gosh.... The list is so long.  Think I will start with MUST DO...
Get dilapidated mobile home moved from ajoining lot we just purchased. (in such bad shape we may have to tear down by hand).  Clean up 1/4 acre of head high trash piles neighbors moved off and left. (big hole and a match will help get this done).  Bush hog and spread piles of dirt.  Hopefully, all this can be done in the next 3 weeks.  Repair shed and turn into new chicken coop. Build new rabbit hutches.  (Must be done within next 5 weeks.)
DH works out of town so he is taking a week off to accomplish some of this.  I am only working 4 days a week to have time to help accomplish all these task plus taking a full week while he is off.
Want to do list. 
Get border rocks for new flower bed started 2 weekends back. 
Plant garden area that has already been preped but waiting until after April 15th to plant. 
Transplant plum trees to new orchard area. 
Buy Pear tree and plant. 
If all of this is completed within the next 2 months - I will make a new list. LOL
There are 10 trees that must be cut and removed from the back yard soon as they are either completely dead or almost dead.  Oh... I have 6 empty flower pots that need to be full.  (empty flower pots are a no no.)

I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it. (Jimmy Stewart as Elwood Dowd in Harvey)

#5 04-08-2008 04:57:35

Sara
Banned
Website

Hmmm.  Since I can soon play in the dirt again, I want to:
1. Plant more fruit trees
2. Plant, and actually weed a garden.  No more weed gardens haha
3. Paint wrap around porch and railing
4.  Get flower beds planted and looking nice
5. Build chicken coop after chicken coop! yay

Ameraucanas & Orpingtons

#6 04-08-2008 05:02:01

Queen of the Lilliputians
Gone fishing
Website

I'm with you Km- start projects and then have a REALLY hard time getting them done, although the garden usually gets some (minimal) attention all year.  I give myself a short list so hopefully I'll accomplish it:

1.) Install underground dog fence so dogs can run around like dogs (whoo hoo!  This will be within next two weeks, as soon as snow is off the ground.  I'm wicked excited)
   2.) Add tons of good stuff to garden: Empty dl from chicken coop and add so it has some time to break down by June 1 (next few days).  Chop the bags of leaves from fall for same project.  Look into buying lime and a test kit this year.
   3.) Start 3rd path flower garden.  Have one side of front walk to house done, but haven't even started the other side.

Those are my biggies.  Also on my (and dh's !) list:
      a.) paint house.
      b.) fix his ugly clutter around the garage
      c.) build big chicken coop (should be on list one, but is mostly dh's job)
      d.) Figure out mulch/weed situation.  Seriously considering mulch, but am afraid it will attract slugs.  Need other form of weed control.
      e.) work on getting dh to install spigot near garden & chickens so getting water up there won't be a chore.

There are so many other projects here, but those are the biggies for us.  If I can get the first list going, and c. I'll feel pretty good.

Meghan

Former ruler-wielding nun at a catholic school

#7 04-08-2008 11:02:04

Sara
Banned
Website

Queen of the Lilliputians ~  you will love the underground fence!  One word of caution, get a good system.  We got one at Home Depot, and it was junk, they ran right through it.  We got Dog Guard to install it, and they stay in wonderfully!  I love that they can go wherever they want, and strangers don't know where the fence is, so they don't come on the property!

Wildsky ~ i have my washer and dryer on the first floor in my laundry room (old closed in porch that I fixed up)  I actually get the laundry done so much better because I can just hop out there and start it, and change it around so quick and easy, rather than going to the basement where it was.

Last edited by Sara (04-08-2008 11:02:16)

Ameraucanas & Orpingtons

#8 04-16-2008 12:43:37

Princess Fluffy Britches
I wear neat socks!

1. Clear out plot for the perenial bed in the front yard by the road, and build the border around it.

It is all cleaned out, and ready for the border, it is getting tilled today, and the first of the top soil is going to be tilled in as well. We are going to *hopefully* be getting the wood to build the border on Friday. We are making it smaller then planned, but we are going to be building it up taller, and then next year we are going to build another one around it that is bigger, so it will be tiered, but we figure one stage at a time. So, our shopping list is going to include wood for the border, and more soil to add in and fill it. I will be taking pics of the progress as we do it!

4. Clean and rebuild flower beds by the house.

I got them cleaned out. BUT.... I have to find more stones around the yard to rebuild some of them. sad3 These are in the back yard, on the back of the house, it looks like they haven't been tended to in YEARS! We haven't done anything with them since we have been here because we have been too busy getting the stuff going with the animals..... So, this week, me and the boys are on rock hunts!

3. Find the location for all the fruit trees on the list to purchase, purchase them and also plant them.

Dh says we may have to put this off until next year. sad3 I am gonna need Toes to help me convince her dad that we need to get them this year.... They will provide shade for the chickens....... right?

A deputy and a hooker all rolled into one... what more could a man ask for?

Mom to seven kids..... 3 girls and 4 boys.

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent