Mrs.Nesbit's Diner - Message Board / Forum

At CC

You are not logged in.

Announcement

WebSite Links: CC HomePage  MrsNesbits Homepage  Guinea Pigs Home Crochet Home  The CC Store

Pic Of The week

Happy Christmas & Merry New Year
Categories and forums are based on the topics generated by our Members.

#1 04-09-2008 04:36:12

jab91864
Gold Member

Gotta haves

So what are the one or two things you MUST plant every year in your garden ???

Mine are tomatoes and peppers.  I started my seeds last weekend.  Normally I do it before now but because winter was lasting so long this year I figured best to hold off.  I've had it frost here well into May and don't want my plants to be too long and straggly if I keep them inside endlessly.

I plant 114 assorted tomoatos and peppers.  I'll give a way a good portion to friends, but if I had enough room I'd be greedy...lol.

I'll have to come back and list which varieties later when I have more time...   

Julie big_smile

** I need Barred Rocks, Chanteclers, Dark Brahmas, Wyandottes.........

#2 04-09-2008 04:43:26

bantymum
Silver Member
Website

Re: Gotta haves

tomatoes and Basil.
I always plant italian tomatoes  and cherry tomatoes as they are much lower in acid which makes your joints ache!!
Our summer has just ended so ive got to tidy the patch up and plant some winter vegies.

Last edited by bantymum (04-09-2008 04:44:42)

Sexy women have messy kitchens

#3 04-09-2008 05:06:03

Queen of the Lilliputians
Gone fishing
Website

Peas and pumpkins.  My garden has looked pathetic for a few years now (do to a move to a different location with crappy soil), but I still plant those two. 

If I could only pick on... Sugar Snap Peas!!  Hands down!!

Former ruler-wielding nun at a catholic school

#4 04-09-2008 05:16:06

justusnak

Tomatos...and green beans! We eat lots and lots of them. And, I have to plant enough tomatos to share with the animals!  haha

#5 04-09-2008 05:26:39

Hencackle
Thread Killer

Why is everybody's must have list so short? 

Here goes (taking a deep breath): tomatoes, peppers, onions, corn, green beans, butter beans, potatoes, radishes, beets, lettuce, zucchini, cucumbers, basil, oregano, and zinnias (cutting).  Every year....other stuff gets thrown in too, but the main list stays the same.

I've got a FOWL mouth!
cool Song  = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6WVNN_DJe0

"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

#6 04-09-2008 05:46:57

Queen of the Lilliputians
Gone fishing
Website

Hencackle rotflol

Me two, actually.  I always plant corn, carrots, lettace, spinach, cucumbers, zucchini..

LOL- but if I was stranded on a desert isle, with a hoe and two packs of seeds, those are the two I'd pick.

Former ruler-wielding nun at a catholic school

#7 04-09-2008 09:42:50

jab91864
Gold Member

I love fresh basil, cilantro, oregano, parsley, rosemary and mints.

I tried garlic last year but was disappointed in my yield so I didn't plant any last fall.  I think I will work myself another bed with lots of "chicken straw" in it and have it ready for fall planting...maybe that will work better for me.

I've thought of trying mushrooms a couple times but figure the price of the kit probably won't match the amt I can harvest.

Julie smile

** I need Barred Rocks, Chanteclers, Dark Brahmas, Wyandottes.........

#8 04-09-2008 09:55:03

Hencackle
Thread Killer

jab--I've broke down and tried one of those mushroom kits, it was fun.  Got a decent yield of nice, firm mushrooms as opposed to the shriveling things I usually find in the store.

Last edited by Hencackle (04-09-2008 09:55:16)

I've got a FOWL mouth!
cool Song  = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6WVNN_DJe0

"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

#9 04-09-2008 10:50:32

countryboy
Silver Member

Okra, corn, squash, cantaloupe.but i haven't gardened in a few years, last time I did nothing made sad3, but those are my favorites.

greetings

#10 04-09-2008 06:57:36

baldmonkey
Banned
Website

its always tomatoes, heirloom. And of course peppers, purple thias. And alot of herbs, for all kinds of uses. This year we will also be planting corn and pole beans from Hencackle....

If at first you dont succeed, stop, sit down, and drink a beer!
http://www.dragonwynddesigns.com/
Father to many spoiled rotten chickens and 3 spoiled rotten dogs!!

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent