Mrs.Nesbit's Diner - Message Board / Forum

At CC

You are not logged in.

Announcement

WebSite Links: CC HomePage  MrsNesbits Homepage  Guinea Pigs Home Crochet Home  The CC Store

Pic Of The week

Happy Christmas & Merry New Year
Categories and forums are based on the topics generated by our Members.

#1 04-11-2008 04:43:39

2dream
Silver Member

Tamale Soup

Yogi gave me this recipe and let me tell you it is some kind of good.  I have copied and pasted the recipe he sent me - so even though I am posting it - he deserves all the credit.

1 Large Can of Hot Tamales or 2 regular cans, paper removed and cut into bite size pieces.
1 Can of Rotell Tomatoes = diced tomatoes with chilies
2 Cans of Chile Beans or Ranch Style Beans,  most any style bean will work even Pinto
2 Cans of Whole Kernel Corn
2 Cans of Chicken Broth

Directions:  Combine all of the ingredients in a large pot and heat then serve.  So Easy!  NOTE: Do not drain anything.  The sauce from the tamales add flavor so make sure it goes into the pot.

I play with this recipe a lot.  I only use 1 can instead of the 2 called for because it is just ME eating.  I use lots of different beans but I think Black Beans are my favorite.  If I don't have beans on hand I use a can of chili with beans.  Makes it thicker more like a stew.  Want more meat in it - add whatever you have on hand.
I have even crumbled up left over hamburger patties. 

This soup freezes really well.  I am home alone a lot so I freeze in individual single serve containers or in small zip lock bags.

A fresh pan of cornbread and a glass of milk and I have a hearty meal that sticks with me.

I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it. (Jimmy Stewart as Elwood Dowd in Harvey)

#2 04-11-2008 05:31:39

Henny Penny
Silver Member

Re: Tamale Soup

I've made this and the whole family liked it!  The challenge was finding the tamales in New Hampshire!!! I finally got them a Trader Joes, just over the border in Massachusetts!  It was worth the drive...

"Eat dessert first, (preferably chocolate) after all life is uncertain !

In another life I am known as "Cheryl"

#3 04-11-2008 06:22:32

Yogiman

So as not to sound like a "Know it All" I wanted to add to what dreamy posted to let you know that this recipe can be modified to suit your individual taste.  Additionally there are some garnishments that truly does enhance the dish.  I have had this basic recipe for quite some time and have toyed around with it considerably.  The kids love it because of it's basic flavor.  I often call it "kidde food" for that reason.  But as dreamy pointed out, it is very tasty and filling.

For those that prefer more meat you can do some of the following things that I have done:
1.  Brown a pound of hamburger and add to the basic recipe.
2.  Brown a pound of pork pan sausage and add: Like Jimmy Dean or your favorite brand
3.  Add a can of chili to the basic recipe.
4.  Substitue or add hominy
5.  Add a can of cream style corn
6.  Brown a pkg. of pork stew meat and add  (DW's favorite choice)

The soup is excellent served over Frito Corn Chips or Scoops  The youngens love it this way.

Some excellent toppings include:
1.  Diced sweet onion
2.  Shredded cheddar cheese
3.  Sour Cream (Yes!)  Almost a must.

And last but not least:  The soup freezes really well a dreamy pointed out.  However:

Dreamy said:
I am home alone a lot so I freeze in individual single serve containers or in small zip lock bags

Her idea of a single serve container is a quart freezer contain and a her smallet zip lock bags are quart size. ; rotflol

#4 04-11-2008 06:39:56

2dream
Silver Member

Yogiman wrote:

Dreamy said:
I am home alone a lot so I freeze in individual single serve containers or in small zip lock bags

Her idea of a single serve container is a quart freezer contain and a her smallet zip lock bags are quart size. ; rotflol

Hey Yogi,  Don't be telling all my secrets.

I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it. (Jimmy Stewart as Elwood Dowd in Harvey)

#5 04-30-2008 05:30:47

lacyloo
Platinum Member

I have never heard of that soup

One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, black fish, blue fish, old fish, new fish … say what a lot of fish there are.

#6 05-05-2008 09:03:50

B&C Ranch
Grammy Award Member

I have never tried this before -- but my DH loves this kind of food -- thank god we live in New Mexico LOL  but I have a hard time eating anything spicey -- can I make this with non spicey Tamales and still have it taste great??

Julie

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent