Mrs.Nesbit's Diner - Message Board / Forum

At CC

You are not logged in.

Announcement

WebSite Links: CC HomePage  MrsNesbits Homepage  Guinea Pigs Home Crochet Home  The CC Store

Pic Of The week

Happy Christmas & Merry New Year
Categories and forums are based on the topics generated by our Members.

#1 05-03-2008 01:27:11

unionwirewoman

What are your feelings on Unions ?

I want to start off by saying that this is not a trick question . I am simply curious as to what everyones opinion on Unions is . I am a Union electrician , but before I joined I had numerous people tell me to watch my back . We recently went through a class that entailed trying to organize non Union workers . Anyone have any stories or points of view ? My hope is to hear from the public and maybe answer some questions .wink

Be true , Be yourself , But most importantly....be YOURSELF ! If you can't look yourself in the mirror each morning , and know that you are a good person...then what the hell are you living for !!!!

#2 05-03-2008 05:39:02

lacyloo
Platinum Member

Re: What are your feelings on Unions ?

Are you talking about the "unions and the confederates "  ? like the civil war I think ??

Please specify lol

One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, black fish, blue fish, old fish, new fish … say what a lot of fish there are.

#3 05-03-2008 05:53:50

B&C Ranch
Grammy Award Member

I might be wrong but here goes --- LOL

were unions put together to help protect an employees job - in case of lays off,strikes, and help with pay raises ?

I have always thought of them as doing good for their members  and being something worth joining - I have never had a job where there was a union in place - so I have never got all the ins and outs of them

julie

#4 05-03-2008 10:14:06

nccountrygirl
Gold Member

I wish we had unions in the south. Down here if you even breath the word union you could lose your job.

My name is Laura and I'm a SC girl chickenwalkin

If wishes were horses beggers would ride and if frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their butts. :exc     Ann Taylor Bell -- my mom

#5 05-03-2008 10:21:38

Seminolewind
Platinum Member

I don't think unions are all they are cracked up to be.  It depends if they get the guarantees that they are seeking from the company.  Not always happening.
   I came from a union company that I worked for for 12 years.  Now I am at a company in the south with no union  (hospitals).  I can't say one is better than the other.  The worst one about this is that if our unit doesn't have enough patients, the super can cancel you even tho you are a permanent employee, and put you on call for $2 bucks an hour.  And the evaluation/raise system really sucks. I guess no union is a hair worse, but I care less here cause there are other jobs available in this area.

I was going to be good, but I got bored
  http://www.myspace.com/kseminolewind

#6 05-03-2008 06:14:19

Blondie

OK,  I don't know you personally, but my opinion of unions is that all the members have this entitlement mentality.  It's like everyone owes them something.  Why get paid $25 an hour to sweep the floor and god forbid if someone else picks up the broom - then they file a grievance.

It's impossible to get fired if you belong to a union. Therefore, slackers love unions.

Look at the automobile unions.  They still expect the employers to pay the entire amount of health care insurance.  That is just BAD business sense!!  The insurance industry is crazy!! But that's another topic.............

Also known as Janine, with approximately 40 chickens, a couple of cats, 8 goats, a visiting Muscovy, and Basil the Husband.
www.friscofarms.com
www.janinebanko.com

#7 05-03-2008 09:55:13

unionwirewoman

Good comments everyone . For those that don't know much I'll try to explain . Being in a Union means you have collective bargaining . You are able to negotiate wages....retirement ....health insurance etc. I like being Union for the simple fact that I sign a contract that is good for me AND the employer . Non union you have to sign a contract that is just in the favor of the employer . You can be fired while in a Union . An employer will give you a Not eligible for re-hire . When you recieve 3 of these you are out of the Union . Our Union does not strike . We can be kicked out if we try to do it . We pay dues each month with half of it going to annuities and pensions . As far as someone else doing your job and then filing a greivance....how do I put this.....It would be like an illegal immigrant coming in and doing your job at a lower wage . The company would see that they can pay less to someone else and get rid of you .

There are many different Unions....some that are decent , some that are not so good . We get a raise of at least .90 a year , but that all hinges on negotiations . Hope I made sense out of this .

I like the fact that I'm not stuck with one company . (well right now I am because I'm still an apprentice ) If you don't like an employer or the job , you can always go sign the book . You can travel all over the country , and best of all , no kissing butt to the contractor because you're afraid to loose your job .  joy

I forgot to mention that we pay for health insurance along with the contractor . I couldn't imagine the employer having to pay for it all ! Ours is around $600 a monthand it's not the best .

Last edited by unionwirewoman (05-03-2008 09:57:06)

Be true , Be yourself , But most importantly....be YOURSELF ! If you can't look yourself in the mirror each morning , and know that you are a good person...then what the hell are you living for !!!!

#8 05-04-2008 06:44:44

lacyloo
Platinum Member

ohhh

I have never heard of that.

One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, black fish, blue fish, old fish, new fish … say what a lot of fish there are.

#9 05-04-2008 04:12:49

homecatmom
Silver Member

I worked for 33 years in a closed shop environment.  Closed shop meaning that you paid union dues whether or not you joined the union, since you received the benefits that the union negotiated for it's members.  You were also able to file a grievance if you were treated unfairly (against the written contract).  Now saying that you are "able" to file a grievance, and "working on" your grievance while you are a non-union member were two different things.  My experience with the union was two sided.  I was a pretty hard worker.  I saw people that were lazy and unqualified that stayed working because they were protected by the union.  As a manager, my husband has been grieved because he reprimanded his techs for not doing their jobs.  My father always felt that the unions were needed in the past when workers were subjected to unsafe working conditions and labor practices, but felt the union had gotten too much power and was no longer needed.  Now the union at my husbands job grieves silly, petty things that are not even contract issues.  Because the grievances must be met on within a certain number of days, managers must stop what they are working on and prepare the necessary paperwork required for a grievance and schedule the meeting and then meet on it, even if it has NO merit.  This is a waste of time and energy in my opinion.  I feel that the union officers should be held accountable for this type of frivilous act.

"He who sits on fence, gets splinters in butt"

#10 05-04-2008 04:33:40

PurpleChicken
Gold Member

Unions are a tough call.  They have ggods and bads, like anything else.   In the case of electricians I would
choose union over non-union.  My father-inlaw is a union electrician and the union means a lot to him.

Personally, I am a non union technician.  I choose not to go into a union job because I like to work and
this would cause problems with the many useless morons that don't like to work and hide behind the union.
I've turned down union jobs just for this reason.

If you are union, which I know you are, then just use it for the advantages.  If a killer nonunion job came
along I'd say grab it and just keep your union card. 

Best wishes

May A Chicken Smile Upon You

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent