Mrs.Nesbit's Diner - Message Board / Forum

At CC

You are not logged in.

Announcement

WebSite Links: CC HomePage  MrsNesbits Homepage  Guinea Pigs Home Crochet Home  The CC Store

Pic Of The week

Happy Christmas & Merry New Year
Categories and forums are based on the topics generated by our Members.

#1 02-04-2008 02:34:15

RepoBob
Gold Member

First Topic in this Forum. I'm honored.

First this board seems like a nice place and I hope to be an active member here as well as "that other place". I think once the dust settles there will be two great boards concerning chickens, one a little more liberal than the other.

Now on to the reason for this post. I've been getting emails about some of my comments. I have gotten a number of reply's to my aposts. Both in emails and aposts, some where great, some good and some not so good. From the reading I have been doing I gather that some people may not understand what I'm trying to say. I wish I was a better communicator. Basically, my point is these are Chicken Boads. When I come here I want to read about chickens. I take offense at people wishing me a blessed day, having to read what Mathew, Mark, Luke or John wrote 2000 years ago (when I look at someone's sig I'm interested in what kind of chickens they have not their religious beliefs. Having to wade through bible versus to get at that information offends me. Maybe at this point you are saying "Boy he's thin skinned.
I don't think so. What offends me is not that you believe in the Bible and have taken Jesus as your personal savior. I honestly think that is wonderful. If it makes you feel at peace that is truely wonderful. If you want to talk about that feeling in church, with your family and friends that share that BELIEF (Not Fact) I would die to support your ability to do just that. I mean that last statement with my whole heart.

Where I begin to have problems is when you bring those beliefs into the public. Now if you are willing to listen everyone else's beliefs in public, and that means everyones beliefs even the ones that are most disturbing to you, then I wouldn't have a problem. My problem is this you want to be able to offend others with your beliefs because you believe them so deeply that you can't see how anyone could think differently, but you shut others out because you are so sure your right. For example I may (I don't) believe in Paganism, which has been around longer than Christianity (just a fact), part of this belief includes orgies. Now, if you are willing for me to use the greeting in public "Hey wanna have an orgy" then I'll thank you when you say "Have a Blessed Day". But if you think my beliefs are silly then I believe yours are too. My Theological or Spiritual Beliefs are just that, and so are yours. Beliefs not Fact. If you want to have your bible quotes on you sig thats fine, but don't gripe when someone refers to cracked corn as crack or says something that offends you. I guess all I need to know is are all Theological or Spiritual Beliefs acceptable or only the ones you deem acceptable. Please I realize that there are limits that I would also agree with. Profanity ( the big words), Rudeness (some one saying in their sig that Joe's mother wears army boots), Name calling, anything that hurts children, etc. I think we can all agree no one should be allowed to do. Beyond that Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. That dosen't say I it says you. That means you have to take the first step. If you don't want me to comment on your beliefs then don't bring them here. Let's forget all the beliefs stuff and talk about chickens.

:cleg :cleg Anyone that is interested in swapping some eggs check out the Wild Egg Chain. :cleg :cleg
Its in the Chicken Buy Sell and Trade Forum

#2 02-04-2008 03:17:04

johnnyjack
gone fishing
Website

Re: First Topic in this Forum. I'm honored.

ok this is a debate so. i can get along with anyone. as long as
1- they aren't self centered .kinda gets under my skin but i can look over it.
2- tell me not to push my beliefs when they are pushing their own on me.i am what i am.i dont push anything about religion. i have had- do unto other as you would have them do unto you- in my sig- but i removed it after i found out some take offence to things from the bible.
3-i try to follow rules as best i can.
4- i try not to offended a person no matter what.
5-i try not to keep harping on the same subject knowing it just stirs up anger. i always say just let it go.
6-if i have a problem with a person i take it to them through pm or email. not on the board.
7-if i personally had a problem with emails i would not have it posted for everyone to use.
lol now see repo im not hard to get along with . have a good day bud.................mr johnnyjack..jmho
edited for spelling im not to good at that. and to add this wasnt ment to be a smart remark to your post repo

Last edited by johnnyjack (02-04-2008 03:21:16)

#3 02-04-2008 03:25:31

Queen of the Lilliputians
Gone fishing
Website

RepoBob,

I do understand what you are saying.  I even agree with you to a certain extent.  Not being Christian, All those bible verses can be irritating.. so I just ignore them.  Unless a post is absolutely full of bible references, it in no one colors my opinion of that person- nor does it make me believe in their religion.  But we all believe in our own gods (or not), so I accept that others choose that particular road. 

As far as orgies.. hmm.  I'm not sure how to feel about that.  I am Wiccan, which puts me in the Pagan catagory.  I've been a witch for a very long time.  I have read numerous books on this subject.  I have even been to a few coven meetings.  And.. no orgies.  Never mentioned.  Now, perhaps there are some Pagans out there who do that.. I don't know.  I know I don't.  Practicing 'skyclad' (naked) is part of it.  However, I am a solitary for the most part, so I don't pretend I know everything that goes on.  And that's all I'll say on this particular subject... since I also believe that spiritualism is personal, and I will not cram my beliefs down anyone's throat.  Anyone wanting more info is welcome to e-mail me, and I will suggest some great references.

I think we all have a right to follow our own path.  Part of that, to me, means respecting others, even if I don't agree.  My opinions of your other post was that it almost seemed that you were attacking Christians.  Perhaps you were not, and were only making a point. 

I appreciate you mentioning this subject here.  To be honest, my own Paganism usually hides when I am out and about (been with my husband for 8.5 yrs, and his family has no idea), and I've enjoyed discussing it a bit here smile

Meghan

Former ruler-wielding nun at a catholic school

#4 02-04-2008 04:08:27

RepoBob
Gold Member

Johnny Jack I'm not sure how to read what you said. To be clear, are you refering to me? If mentioning your email to me upset you, dude I AM SORRY. I thought you would not have minded. All this other religious stuff aside. I really feel bad if my mentioning you inviting me was the wrong thing to do.  That is the only email I got from you. I'm confused.

If I'm reading more into it then is really there then, in reply.
1 I too don't like that kinda people. People that are so sure they are right they have to mention it in every part of their life, weather I like it or not. And get upset if I don't go along to get along. Those kinda people?
2 And I thank you for removing it. I won't put my beliefs in my sig line out of respect and graditude toward you. Nice how that works isn't it we are both being respectful of each other.
3 Never been to good at rules, unless they apply to everyone in every case. Then I follow them to a T.
4 I don't feel the same way. I try to only offend the people that offend me.
5 Agree to disagree
6 Agreed, I would try to handel it in private. But if I have a problem with a group?
7 This email thing. Again if I was wrong I'm sorry.

I know what you mean about spelling. smile

Hi Wildsky. I appreciate your opinion.

Hello Queen, You are more tolerant than I am. I just can't ignore them because they can't ignore my beliefs if I were to post them.
I don't know much about Wican, it seems to be evolving. I'll have to learn more at some point. I guess I didn't mean pagan like that I ment pagan like in the Days of Rome. You know when the fat guys laid on couches and beautiful women feed the grapes.

You said, "My opinions of your other post was that it almost seemed that you were attacking Christians." Could you please show me what I wrote gave you that opinion, I would be glad to explain exactly how I ment that. Now, I do not believe that stating a fact is attacking.
You make my point. You feel you need to hide your beliefs, that is so sad. Why do you feel like that? Like I said when time permits I want to learn more. Even if I don't agree it would be interesting. I enjoy discussing it too Meghan.

Bob

:cleg :cleg Anyone that is interested in swapping some eggs check out the Wild Egg Chain. :cleg :cleg
Its in the Chicken Buy Sell and Trade Forum

#5 02-04-2008 04:16:59

paganfish
The Ancient Chicken Sage

Queen of the Lilliputians wrote:

I am Wiccan, which puts me in the Pagan catagory.  I've been a witch for a very long time.  I have read numerous books on this subject.  I have even been to a few coven meetings.  And.. no orgies.  Never mentioned.  Now, perhaps there are some Pagans out there who do that.. I don't know.  I know I don't.  Practicing 'skyclad' (naked) is part of it.  However, I am a solitary for the most part, so I don't pretend I know everything that goes on.  And that's all I'll say on this particular subject... since I also believe that spiritualism is personal, and I will not cram my beliefs down anyone's throat.  Anyone wanting more info is welcome to e-mail me, and I will suggest some great references.

I think we all have a right to follow our own path.  Part of that, to me, means respecting others, even if I don't agree.  My opinions of your other post was that it almost seemed that you were attacking Christians.  Perhaps you were not, and were only making a point. 

I appreciate you mentioning this subject here.  To be honest, my own Paganism usually hides when I am out and about (been with my husband for 8.5 yrs, and his family has no idea), and I've enjoyed discussing it a bit here smile

Meghan

I was going to say something but I didn't want to be singled out. I too am pagan and a solitary witch. I have NO problem with people and other beliefs as long as they are not pushed on me...so to some extent, I agree with you Repo but, not entirely. What someone puts on their signature line is their personal message. I take what I like and leave the rest behind. Like Wildsky...as long as it's not directed at ME, I have no problem with letting others worship as they wish.

As for orgies...I tend to back what Queen said...I don't engage in them nor have I known anyone to do so in the name of paganism. Not to say it does not exists...there are many sects within paganism that do engage in this sort of ritual. If I were to engage in that sort of ritual though I'd be leery of posting invites to such parties as paganism is not about that. If you are pagan you get invited but if you are not...mum's the word. In paganism your relationship with diety/ies is personal.

Also, as this is a family oriented site I would not post anything about orgies because I don't want to be offensive. Do I mean to say that anyone posting on their signature their religious beliefs or heart warming epithets or inspiring quotes is wrong? NO, as long as they don't break the rules of the forum. That is why the rules were posted/enacted for one to read. If one is not in accord or offended with said rules one should not join said group.

That said...if it was indicative in any way that this was a religious site I would probably NOT join. Not because I disagree with anyone's religious beliefs but because...it would not jibe with me. I'd have nothing to contribute.

So, I guess the thing I am trying to say is "take what you like...and leave the rest behind." It works...it really does.

Peace-

Pedro cool

"I put a capital N on nature and call it my church."
-Frank Lloyd Wright
smile

#6 02-04-2008 05:28:21

johnnyjack
gone fishing
Website

repo its all good.  don't worry i don't care who knows about emails i sent to join here. i really honestly didn't mean for anything in my post to come across negative. or argumentative...and i say again i can get along with anyone.
i can be any one's chicken board friend. lol have a gooden repo..   big_smile

added--- the email thing was meant to say you could remove your email address from the profile. if ya didn't like the emails.

Last edited by johnnyjack (02-04-2008 05:31:54)

#7 02-04-2008 05:52:31

rosyposyosy
Silver Member

I'm an athiest, and to me, evolution and the big bang makes more sense to me than creationism. I totally agree with you though. It's fine, believe in what you believe in, don't convert me, don't make little comments about the bible, it's being narrow minded thinking everyone believes what you believe in. WE ARE DIVERSE! ACCEPT IT! IT'S GOOD! But keep the diversity, sure, you can tell me what you believe in, there is no harm in learning more, but don't act like you are the only one right. But the thing is... Freedom of speech, they can say god bless you and stuff, even if you don't believe in it. But if we say "hey, stop doing that" it's considered discriminating against all religious people. It's a touchy subject, as is politics. Which really sucks. It's fine if someone says they don't want to talk politics. I don't like talking religion, it gets me all ranting... Like on the other board, me and jeacaumom had it out since she was pulling her kids out of school because in california they made a law to say "mom and dad" just as much as they say "mom and mom" and "dad and dad". I have no problems with same sex marriage or abortions, no problem at all, when people get all riled up since it is unholy? Here I am ranting... It's my fault, I always share my opinion, openly and honestly.

Sorry if I offended anyone... This is a debate board.

#8 02-04-2008 05:57:50

paganfish
The Ancient Chicken Sage

rosyposyosy wrote:

I'm an athiest, and to me, evolution and the big bang makes more sense to me than creationism. I totally agree with you though. It's fine, believe in what you believe in, don't convert me, don't make little comments about the bible, it's being narrow minded thinking everyone believes what you believe in. WE ARE DIVERSE! ACCEPT IT! IT'S GOOD! But keep the diversity, sure, you can tell me what you believe in, there is no harm in learning more, but don't act like you are the only one right. But the thing is... Freedom of speech, they can say god bless you and stuff, even if you don't believe in it. But if we say "hey, stop doing that" it's considered discriminating against all religious people. It's a touchy subject, as is politics. Which really sucks. It's fine if someone says they don't want to talk politics. I don't like talking religion, it gets me all ranting... Like on the other board, me and jeacaumom had it out since she was pulling her kids out of school because in california they made a law to say "mom and dad" just as much as they say "mom and mom" and "dad and dad". I have no problems with same sex marriage or abortions, no problem at all, when people get all riled up since it is unholy? Here I am ranting... It's my fault, I always share my opinion, openly and honestly.

I don't think you offended anyone. It IS a debate board for that very reason. Let it all out! LOL! I think you made some valid points...MHO.

Pedro cool

"I put a capital N on nature and call it my church."
-Frank Lloyd Wright
smile

#9 02-04-2008 06:32:04

Rooster-Red
Silver Member

I think you are focusing way too much on words.
Words have no power unless you give power to them by becoming offended.

When someone during the holidays tells me "Happy Haunakah" or "Happy Kwanza" or "Merry Chirstmas" I may not be into either religion, but the thing that is being conveyed in the eyes of the person saying these things is a kind and good sentiment.

I'm prone to saying"Have a good one" the sentiment is the same.

"Yeah... Here come the Rooster...Ah yeah"
"We have seen the enemy... and he is us" -Pogo Possum

#10 02-04-2008 06:35:04

Rooster-Red
Silver Member

rosyposyosy wrote:

If you do offend someone and it causes them to think, is it a bad thing?

"Yeah... Here come the Rooster...Ah yeah"
"We have seen the enemy... and he is us" -Pogo Possum

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent