Mrs.Nesbit's Diner - Message Board / Forum

At CC

You are not logged in.

Announcement

WebSite Links: CC HomePage  MrsNesbits Homepage  Guinea Pigs Home Crochet Home  The CC Store

Pic Of The week

Happy Christmas & Merry New Year
Categories and forums are based on the topics generated by our Members.

#21 02-04-2008 08:53:37

Rooster-Red
Silver Member

Re: First Topic in this Forum. I'm honored.

Wildsky wrote:

paganfish wrote:

(Incidentally, I don't believe in Satan for the same reasons you probably don't...it is a Christian based belief. Same with Hell...)

Interesting - I've always thought satan and HELL were kinda silly and they NEVER made sence -  perhaps I need to check into the wiccan thing..... I could be a witch not just a .......................

TOO LATE!!

J/K

"Yeah... Here come the Rooster...Ah yeah"
"We have seen the enemy... and he is us" -Pogo Possum

#22 02-04-2008 09:09:18

RepoBob
Gold Member

Kentucky, No I do not lump all christians in this catigory. Three of the "best" people I've met in my life were Christians. They lived their beliefs, they did not wear it on their sleve. I'm also not comparing Christianity to the Taliban. I am saying that those Christians that want everyone to hear their views, but anyone that disagrees with them well, those beliefs are silly, or radical are doing the same thing the Taliban did. I am not saying they are as bad as the Taliban, but thats just a mater of degree.
Hope that clears that up for you. smile
I you approached me on the street I would be happy to discuss religion with you, as long as it was a discussion not a revival. I have had people knock on my door while they were on their "mission". One guy sat at my kitchen table with me and drank a pot of coffee, we talked for hours. It was both enjoyable and inlightining. I've had others that only want to parot what they have been brainwashed with ( again I am not talking about every Christian). They got told in no uncertain terms that my Rottie can make it to the fence in 2.9 seconds and that I hoped they were quicker. You said " like I said we leave, and I won't send a different group there" But some people do send another group there, these are the people I'm refering to.  Does that clear things up? Yes, I think it is going well too.

Queen You said "I nearly lost a job when I lived in Virginia because my boss was a Born-Again Pentacostaln" Isn't Pentacostal considered a Christian. Pretty closed minded of one to base weather someone can make a company money or not on weather they believe that Jesus Christ is their personal savior. That would be an attitude the Taliban might have, believe my way or you can't work. I'm not going to say anything derogatory toward your aunt. All I can say is thats sad.
No Queen, and if I used Pagan in the wrong way I appologize. In my ignorance of Wican, I never thought Pagan. I was talking about the religion Ceasor, Punces Piolet and those guys had. I never put Wichens, Spritualists, etc. together with wild orgies, and I really did not mean it that way. Please accept my appologies if I offended you, I did not mean to.
I try to explain myself fully, because I know how words can be misinterperated. That's probably why I wrote the paragraph you mentioned. I try to give examples to support my point. Some people may not like these examples, but to the best of my knowledge they are true. I hope that explains it a little better. I do have strong opinions and I am glad you don't think I'm a jerk. I don't think you are a jerk either smile. In my opinion if people come to your home on a "mision " they deserve to be treated kindly "no, I'm not interested. If they get pushy or send in another group you owe them no courtsey. I've dropped trou and mooned them. It worked, they left.
"religious nazis" yea, those are the people I'm talking about. "I have found EVERY post in this debate to be informative and polite.  It's amazing, eye opening, and sure to make Barg's heart go pitterpat" Yes I agree with you, this is going very nicely. That is a reflection or the members who are here. I don't want any trouble, because I like both boards for their own reasons but, Do you think this would have haappened at BYC? Personally, I'm not sure. I'm being Politically Correct, see I can do it when I want to big_smile

Pedro said "It has helped me through many a rough situation and I feel at peace" Then it must be a good religion. I'm glad you found that, frankly I am still searching.

Wildsky you would do both very well I'm sure spit

Everyone have a nice night I'm gonna check one mor thead ( I just put 36 eggs in the bator last night, it my first time) so I have to check a couple details.
Good Night
Bob

:cleg :cleg Anyone that is interested in swapping some eggs check out the Wild Egg Chain. :cleg :cleg
Its in the Chicken Buy Sell and Trade Forum

#23 02-04-2008 09:21:40

Queen of the Lilliputians
Gone fishing
Website

Thanks so much RepoBob.  It has been interesting to say the least!

And no I'm not offended.  Off-hand, glad my cars been paid off long ago though... tongue

JK.  Have a good night!

Meghan

Former ruler-wielding nun at a catholic school

#24 02-04-2008 10:32:19

franklevey
Silver Member

Way to stay focused you guys!!  I had to play catch-up and just read all of this in one sitting.

I personally am not religious.  That does not mean that I don't believe in anything.  I believe in some sort of higher power...I just don't think I need to name it or pray to it.  My main dislike is organized religion.  I believe you can be very religious without ever stepping foot in a church.  My mom did not raise us on church.  She loves Jesus and God but never pushed any of that on us and I thank her every day for that.  It has truly led me to be more accepting of other beliefs and cultures.  That is my honest opinion.  I have no problem with religious people, but having it pushed on me is very distasteful on their part.  I personally don't understand these people coming to my door and interrupting my day.  I'm a big girl.  If I want to go to church I know how to find one.  I really feel like these people think I'm stupid and can't figure it out.  I also dislike the ones who don't take "I'm not interested, but have a great day" at what I mean it as - "get off my doorstep."  I've told people I'm not intersted and they'll say, "Well let me ask you, if you died today what do you think would happen to your eternal soul?" or "Before I go, will you please tell me if you've accepted Jesus Christ as your personal savior?"  I'm sorry, but the second I say I'm not interested it's your cue to go.  I don't mean offense to anyone.  These religious folks are the same as the guy who comes to your door trying to sell you magazines or anything else.  They are salesmen for Jesus.  That's the way it's written in my book.

For the record, I will talk religion with anyone.  I just do not want you to try to "convert" me or "save" me.  That goes for ANY religion....Christians are not the only guilty ones.

Thanks for allowing me to speak my piece.

ChickenCrossing Mrs. Nesbits Diner Mrs. Nesbits Diner Forum

#25 02-04-2008 10:37:48

paganfish
The Ancient Chicken Sage

eggcetra_farms wrote:

Way to stay focused you guys!!  I had to play catch-up and just read all of this in one sitting.

I personally am not religious.  That does not mean that I don't believe in anything.  I believe in some sort of higher power...I just don't think I need to name it or pray to it.  My main dislike is organized religion.  I believe you can be very religious without ever stepping foot in a church.  My mom did not raise us on church.  She loves Jesus and God but never pushed any of that on us and I thank her every day for that.  It has truly led me to be more accepting of other beliefs and cultures.  That is my honest opinion.  I have no problem with religious people, but having it pushed on me is very distasteful on their part.  I personally don't understand these people coming to my door and interrupting my day.  I'm a big girl.  If I want to go to church I know how to find one.  I really feel like these people think I'm stupid and can't figure it out.  I also dislike the ones who don't take "I'm not interested, but have a great day" at what I mean it as - "get off my doorstep."  I've told people I'm not intersted and they'll say, "Well let me ask you, if you died today what do you think would happen to your eternal soul?" or "Before I go, will you please tell me if you've accepted Jesus Christ as your personal savior?"  I'm sorry, but the second I say I'm not interested it's your cue to go.  I don't mean offense to anyone.  These religious folks are the same as the guy who comes to your door trying to sell you magazines or anything else.  They are salesmen for Jesus.  That's the way it's written in my book.

For the record, I will talk religion with anyone.  I just do not want you to try to "convert" me or "save" me.  That goes for ANY religion....Christians are not the only guilty ones.

Thanks for allowing me to speak my piece.

love MY HERO!!! love

"I put a capital N on nature and call it my church."
-Frank Lloyd Wright
smile

#26 02-04-2008 10:40:20

Queen of the Lilliputians
Gone fishing
Website

eggcetra_farms wrote:

I don't mean offense to anyone.  These religious folks are the same as the guy who comes to your door trying to sell you magazines or anything else.  They are salesmen for Jesus.  That's the way it's written in my book.

Absolutely!

Meghan
- hoping you don't think I'm trying to convert you to anything... my kids don't know I'm Wiccan, and except for a strange affinity for the moon, I'll let them decide in their own time..

Former ruler-wielding nun at a catholic school

#27 02-04-2008 10:43:28

franklevey
Silver Member

Queen of the Lilliputians wrote:

eggcetra_farms wrote:

I don't mean offense to anyone.  These religious folks are the same as the guy who comes to your door trying to sell you magazines or anything else.  They are salesmen for Jesus.  That's the way it's written in my book.

Absolutely!

Meghan
- hoping you don't think I'm trying to convert you to anything... my kids don't know I'm Wiccan, and except for a strange affinity for the moon, I'll let them decide in their own time..

I do not take it that way at all.  Deciding on our own time was what my mom believed in for us too.  Although, as I said, she loves Jesus and God - she was of the belief that you are not born understanding religion and shouldn't have it taught to you until you could get a general hold on it.  We WERE introduced to the concept of religion and knew about Jesus, God, etc.  It just wasn't crammed down our throats and I thank her for it.

ChickenCrossing Mrs. Nesbits Diner Mrs. Nesbits Diner Forum

#28 02-05-2008 03:23:43

Southern28Chick
Silver Member
Website

when I look at someone's sig I'm interested in what kind of chickens they have not their religious beliefs. Having to wade through bible versus to get at that information offends me.

I just wanted to point out that on BYC the reason so many people have Bible versus in their sig is because of this sig:

"Assalamu alaikum", which means peace be to you.
And walk not on the earth with conceit and arrogance [al-Isra

25 Hens, 1 Rooster, 3 Nigerian Dwarf Does, 1 Nigerian Dwarf Buck, 1 Nigerian Dwarf Wether, 1 Shepherd/Husky mix dog, 2 House Cats, 4 Barn Cats, 1 Cockatiel (who has passed) and 1 Very Understanding DH!

And we all live here, at Southern Essence Acres
www.southern-essence.com

#29 02-05-2008 06:02:24

2dream
Silver Member

This is a very interesting debate.  I am not sure where I fall into all this since I fall somewhere between Pagan and Christian with so much other stuff thrown in.
(Crude, Rude and Obnoxious).  Oh no wait that is not on topic.
Lilly and Paganfish I would love to chat with you both.  I am sure you have some very interesting things that I would love to hear.  I don't attend church because I do not believe in organized religion.  I love all earth based religions and the old ways.  I stopped believing in "HELL" a million years ago.  I do believe in a higher power.   I don't normally express my views to anyone.  I do live in the Bible Belt you know.  But I do operate on the premise - if you start expressing your views I will listen under one condition.  You have to hear mine.  That is how I deal with everyone who approaches me.  I find that usually works with most people departing quickly.  Especially when I tell them they have to hear mine first. Then I will listen to them and then they have to hang around for a discussion on major topics of dispute.
As for signatures and Bible verses or Merry Meet and Merry Part, Blessed Be, Bless you, Merry Christmas or Happy What-ever and Have A Nice Day.  I accept it all in the spirit it I chose to believe it was meant.  Someone offered me a smile and a nice greeting or smiled and a nice departure.  I can always use a good Blessing, I don't care who it comes from what they do or do not believe. And a smile is always welcome. 

Even with inflation I figure that is at least a nickles worth.

I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it. (Jimmy Stewart as Elwood Dowd in Harvey)

#30 02-05-2008 06:37:02

RepoBob
Gold Member

You know I think we have finally hit the crux of the problem.
Maybe religion is not the problem. Maybe the problem is organized religion.
It seems we all agree that some force started this world, weather spritual or physical. Religion is simply honoring that force. Not a bad idea. I might say "hey God, thanks for all this bounty" others need to gather in a group and make up all sorts or rituals to do the same thing. Hey both are after the same goal just a different method, that's cool.  The problem is that inorder to have a group you need people. You have all heard the saying "To many cooks spoil the broth" Yup. Some of those people get involved because honoring the creating force gives the a warm peaceful feeling that helps them get through their day, some see it as a way to gain power, some see it an opportunity to obtain riches, and of course a mixture of all these reasons. None of these reasons are bad on their face, but the later two tend to be a path for abuse. I guess I feel that if they are so intent on making me a member that they have to intrude on every facit of my life they ain't doin it because they want me to have warm fuzzy feeling too.
Does that make any sence?

I hear you guys talking about how your parents were about religion, and it makes me think. My dad wanted to be a Catholic Priest after he returned from WWII. When he couldn't do that he settled for second best, raising a family. Don't get me wrong he was a good dad, just it always felt like his second choice. As you can imagine, I had religion jammed down my throat, and was to some degree shunned, not quite as good as my brothers and sisters that went to church on a regular basis. I always thought...Is this what Jesus would do?

Bob

Last edited by RepoBob (02-05-2008 06:40:04)

:cleg :cleg Anyone that is interested in swapping some eggs check out the Wild Egg Chain. :cleg :cleg
Its in the Chicken Buy Sell and Trade Forum

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent