Mrs.Nesbit's Diner - Message Board / Forum

At CC

You are not logged in.

Announcement

WebSite Links: CC HomePage  MrsNesbits Homepage  Guinea Pigs Home Crochet Home  The CC Store

Pic Of The week

Happy Christmas & Merry New Year
Categories and forums are based on the topics generated by our Members.

#1 05-09-2008 08:06:05

B&C Ranch
Grammy Award Member

Hollyhocks

Well a friend gave me a huge bag of Hollyhock seeds from her garden - and I would love to plant them around the chicken run ( outside the run along the fence ) the Hollyhocks get huge and tall and would provide some shade and also a wind break ( maybe? )  but I want to make sure they are safe for the chickens in case they manage to get ahold of the leaves and start to eat them

#2 05-09-2008 08:12:04

Chick A Boom
Academy Award Member

Re: Hollyhocks

None of my poisonous plant books list hollyhock as having any toxic principles, but that doesn't mean they are harmless. It could be there have been no reported cases of poisoning from this species. I would contact a veterinarian at New Mexico State University's Extension Service to see if he or she can provide you with additional information.

I plant them too and my chickens do not pick at them. The above was not written by me but was found on a website about hollyhocks.

Last edited by Chick A Boom (05-09-2008 08:17:47)

"Real Integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not."

#3 05-09-2008 08:16:51

Frozen Feathers
Gold Member

Well, according to this site, they are non-toxic.----> http://www.sniksnak.com/plants.html
It has been my experience that chickens don't eat what can kill them, but if it won't kill them, they will kill it...lol.

Chicken fanatic....that's me! Proud Mama of Hiro and his harem of EE's and layers.

Yes I keep Silkies...yes they are real chickens...yes they are spoiled little brats. chickie3

#4 05-09-2008 08:24:09

B&C Ranch
Grammy Award Member

my plan was to plant a hollyhock and than in between each one plant a sunflower -- I know the sunflowers are safe for the chickens and when they go to seed and start to die off for the year save some of the seeds to replant next year and give the birds the rest of them--

my only problem is if I dont have them clearly marked as a young plant DH thinks it is a weed and whacks it down with a weedeater - I dont know how many plants I have lost this way.   shocked

#5 05-09-2008 08:31:51

Hencackle
Thread Killer

I didn't see it in this list: Plants Toxic to Poultry

Or here (I used Alcea malvaceae as well as hollyhocks): Cornell University Poisonous Plants Informational Database

I've got a FOWL mouth!
cool Song  = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6WVNN_DJe0

"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

#6 05-09-2008 08:39:56

B&C Ranch
Grammy Award Member

wow that is alot of plant that are a NO-NO to chickens -- glad I dont know what half of those are  shrug so more than likely wont be planting anyway LOL

yaha  I get to plant my hollyhocks  they are going to look so pretty

#7 05-09-2008 03:44:06

Henny Penny
Silver Member

I decided to look at the toxic plants...listed is peony, I have them in my yard and presently it is almost the ONLY plant my chickens have not devoured!  So FF I think I agree with you... they don't like mint, sage and chives or my miniature japanese red maple, they have wiped out my ivy.  What I find very interesting is I have 2 different varieties of pansies, they stay away from one and have mowed off the tops of the other!!! hmmmm Oh and they like my grass, I no longer have any!

Last edited by Henny Penny (05-09-2008 03:44:52)

"Eat dessert first, (preferably chocolate) after all life is uncertain !

In another life I am known as "Cheryl"

#8 05-09-2008 03:51:30

B&C Ranch
Grammy Award Member

well I planted my hollyhocks seeds and my sunflowers everyother planting was either a HH or sunflower so it will make a really pretty wind breaker and give the runs a little extra shade not to mention just look real pretty.

so hopefully with nice weather and a little watering they will start to grow pretty quick

#9 05-09-2008 04:24:33

Henny Penny
Silver Member

I bet they will look beautiful...and think how delicious those sunflower seeds will taste later in the summer!

"Eat dessert first, (preferably chocolate) after all life is uncertain !

In another life I am known as "Cheryl"

#10 05-09-2008 05:20:58

B&C Ranch
Grammy Award Member

I think the flock is going to get most of them - neither me or DH are into eating sunflowers to much I just wanted to plant them because they are so pretty and will give a little height to the garden and something pretty to look as long as I can keep DH from mowing them over     shocked

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent