Mrs.Nesbit's Diner - Message Board / Forum

At CC

You are not logged in.

Announcement

WebSite Links: CC HomePage  MrsNesbits Homepage  Guinea Pigs Home Crochet Home  The CC Store

Pic Of The week

Happy Christmas & Merry New Year
Categories and forums are based on the topics generated by our Members.

#21 02-05-2008 03:35:08

paganfish
The Ancient Chicken Sage

Re: Should Immigrants Have to Learn English?

Southern28Chick wrote:

North Carolina is being flocked with illegals.  It's REALLY bad here.  I worked in landscape supply for 3 years...we have more illegal immigrants than legals.

Oh I believe it! I remember as a kid hearing of my parent's having to go to Idaho to follow the crop. IDAHO! I'd never even been outside of TEXAS! I guess they go where the jobs are and where the INS is least likely to find them. shrug

My mom wanted us to FORGET Spanish and speak ONLY English. My brother and sisters speak broken Spanish and good English but I didn't forget my Spanish. Don't know why really...I guess I just have a steel trap mind? LOL! In a way...I am glad.

Lately though...with all the stigma this topic is getting. I tread lightly when speaking Spanish in public. I don't want to offend or exclude anyone.

So, I am stuck in the middle. It can be kind of lonely. roll

For the record I LOVE this country and I know that I would not have half the chance (nay not even a third) that I have here --- in Mexico. VIVA USA!!!

Pedro cool

Last edited by paganfish (02-05-2008 03:36:50)

"I put a capital N on nature and call it my church."
-Frank Lloyd Wright
smile

#22 02-05-2008 03:37:36

paganfish
The Ancient Chicken Sage

TransplantedTexan wrote:

Growing up in Texas I learned some street spanish, and took some in school. I feel it is a plus for any individual to learn a second language no matter where you live. It just enhances your education and your understanding of others. I think in some ways it make you understand your own language better too.
That being said I agree that an alien in a foriegn country should at least make an effort to learn the language.
For mostly the same reasons everyone else said.

I think the problem with the two neighbors who are brothers is not a problem of their nationalaty, and more of just them being scumbags as people.

Not much of a debate, we all seem to agree.

Thank you! I think this is what I wanted to say... wtga

-Frank Lloyd Wright
smile

#23 02-05-2008 03:40:35

paganfish
The Ancient Chicken Sage

PurpleChicken wrote:

You know the people who are the most angry about this whole immigration thing are the people who have
done things right.  You, as an American of Spanish descent, are more prone to stereotypes.  Have you
talked with any Canadians lately trying to come here?  Talk about pissed off.  Same with Asians and even
a Brit or 2 I know.  Again, it's a rough topic and I have no good solutions.

Yeah...my mom was real upset when she heard that some group was trying to make it so the Pledge of Allegiance (or Anthem?) was written in Spanish as well! She was befuddled. She said, "SEND THEM BACK!" (In Spanish...of course! roll )

She is very proud to be an American and although she forgets a lot lately (Alzheimer's) she remembers...how hard it was for her. sads

-Frank Lloyd Wright
smile

#24 02-05-2008 03:43:34

Southern28Chick
Silver Member
Website

paganfish wrote:

Southern28Chick wrote:

North Carolina is being flocked with illegals.  It's REALLY bad here.  I worked in landscape supply for 3 years...we have more illegal immigrants than legals.

Oh I believe it! I remember as a kid hearing of my parent's having to go to Idaho to follow the crop. IDAHO! I'd never even been outside of TEXAS! I guess they go where the jobs are and where the INS is least likely to find them. shrug

My mom wanted us to FORGET Spanish and speak ONLY English. My brother and sisters speak broken Spanish and good English but I didn't forget my Spanish. Don't know why really...I guess I just have a steel trap mind? LOL! In a way...I am glad.

Lately though...with all the stigma this topic is getting. I tread lightly when speaking Spanish in public. I don't want to offend or exclude anyone.

So, I am stuck in the middle. It can be kind of lonely. roll

For the record I LOVE this country and I know that I would not have half the chance (nay not even a third) that I have here --- in Mexico. VIVA USA!!!

Pedro cool

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc19 … age005.gif

They do go where the jobs are.  We have a lot of people moving here from California and from up north and with them come new subdivisions...which means more (illegal) construction works and more (illegal) landscapers.

We have a lot of construction here and they are following the jobs here.

I have NO problem with people coming here to make a better life for themselves.  I'm all for that!  BUT do not come here and expect us to learn your language in OUR country and do not think that you are owed anything.  You have to work to become legal just like everyone else.  And this is not only for spanish speaking people...this is for all immigrants!  Illegals marching in the street because they want to be automatic citizens is insane!

25 Hens, 1 Rooster, 3 Nigerian Dwarf Does, 1 Nigerian Dwarf Buck, 1 Nigerian Dwarf Wether, 1 Shepherd/Husky mix dog, 2 House Cats, 4 Barn Cats, 1 Cockatiel (who has passed) and 1 Very Understanding DH!

And we all live here, at Southern Essence Acres
www.southern-essence.com

#25 02-05-2008 03:44:56

Southern28Chick
Silver Member
Website

paganfish wrote:

PurpleChicken wrote:

You know the people who are the most angry about this whole immigration thing are the people who have
done things right.  You, as an American of Spanish descent, are more prone to stereotypes.  Have you
talked with any Canadians lately trying to come here?  Talk about pissed off.  Same with Asians and even
a Brit or 2 I know.  Again, it's a rough topic and I have no good solutions.

Yeah...my mom was real upset when she heard that some group was trying to make it so the Pledge of Allegiance (or Anthem?) was written in Spanish as well! She was befuddled. She said, "SEND THEM BACK!" (In Spanish...of course! roll )

She is very proud to be an American and although she forgets a lot lately (Alzheimer's) she remembers...how hard it was for her. sads

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc19 … age005.gif

Give your momma a hug and kiss for me.  She did it the right way, I know you're very proud.

25 Hens, 1 Rooster, 3 Nigerian Dwarf Does, 1 Nigerian Dwarf Buck, 1 Nigerian Dwarf Wether, 1 Shepherd/Husky mix dog, 2 House Cats, 4 Barn Cats, 1 Cockatiel (who has passed) and 1 Very Understanding DH!

And we all live here, at Southern Essence Acres
www.southern-essence.com

#26 02-05-2008 03:48:45

TransplantedTexan
Silver Member

I don't get to meet to many Spanish speaking people here in Wi.  when I lived in Texas I would get the biggest kick out of being somewhere in public, having a group of Spanish speaking people start talking negatively about the "blanco", and then I would bust out the Spanish and let them know I knew what they were saying about me.
The look on thier faces was priceless.
I also used to get a kick out of trying to speak Spanish in conversation with numerous Hispanic friends I had.
I am in no way predudiced, I just want people to follow the proper channels when immigrating. Just like I would do if I wanted to move somewhere else.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
Sam Houston

#27 02-05-2008 03:51:46

TransplantedTexan
Silver Member

edited due to the net goofing up and making a double post.

Last edited by TransplantedTexan (02-05-2008 03:52:58)

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
Sam Houston

#28 02-05-2008 03:53:51

paganfish
The Ancient Chicken Sage

Southern28Chick wrote:

Give your momma a hug and kiss for me.  She did it the right way, I know you're very proud.

I WILL! She's one gutsy gal!

Thanks!

Pedro coolani

-Frank Lloyd Wright
smile

#29 02-05-2008 04:02:36

AKA Steve
Web Master
Website

I think this thread has run its coarse

Oops wrong forum  rotfl

Nesbits Avatar: Arnold Rimmer - the Hologram, and his friend Mr. Flibble
www.mrsnesbitsdiner.com/forum   Nesbits Forum

#30 02-05-2008 04:03:48

franklevey
Silver Member

AKA Barg wrote:

I think this thread has run its coarse

Oops wrong forum  rotfl

Oh, you're so naughty Steve!

ChickenCrossing Mrs. Nesbits Diner Mrs. Nesbits Diner Forum

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent