Mrs.Nesbit's Diner - Message Board / Forum

At CC

You are not logged in.

Announcement

WebSite Links: CC HomePage  MrsNesbits Homepage  Guinea Pigs Home Crochet Home  The CC Store

Pic Of The week

Happy Christmas & Merry New Year
Categories and forums are based on the topics generated by our Members.

#31 02-05-2008 04:06:24

TransplantedTexan
Silver Member

Re: Should Immigrants Have to Learn English?

AKA Barg wrote:

I think this thread has run its coarse

Oops wrong forum  rotfl

Good Lord, I saw that and my heart sank for a second untill I realized it was a joke.

Last edited by TransplantedTexan (02-05-2008 04:06:52)

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
Sam Houston

#32 02-05-2008 04:08:07

paganfish
The Ancient Chicken Sage

TransplantedTexan wrote:

I don't get to meet to many Spanish speaking people here in Wi.  when I lived in Texas I would get the biggest kick out of being somewhere in public, having a group of Spanish speaking people start talking negatively about the "blanco", and then I would bust out the Spanish and let them know I knew what they were saying about me.
The look on thier faces was priceless.
I also used to get a kick out of trying to speak Spanish in conversation with numerous Hispanic friends I had.
I am in no way predudiced, I just want people to follow the proper channels when immigrating. Just like I would do if I wanted to move somewhere else.

Well, that's really funny. My niece is blond and has blue/green eyes with light skin. (I guess it's the Spanish blood from my maternal grandfather's side) People often assume she is Anglo/Caucasian...what have you. (I don't like to use colors to describe folks) She always gets Latino folks that give her attitude and talk in Spanish about her thinking she does not understand and she will turn around and give them their just desserts! They never think this Daryl Hannah look alike would be able to speak their tongue!

This used to bother her as a kid because the school kids gave her a hard time since she was the ONLY *white girl* in class. She would come home in tears...sad3

She can tell you stories...

Pedro cool

"I put a capital N on nature and call it my church."
-Frank Lloyd Wright
smile

#33 02-05-2008 04:25:54

franklevey
Silver Member

TransplantedTexan wrote:

AKA Barg wrote:

Oops wrong forum  rotfl

Good Lord, I saw that and my heart sank for a second untill I realized it was a joke.

ofl

ChickenCrossing Mrs. Nesbits Diner Mrs. Nesbits Diner Forum

#34 02-05-2008 05:01:22

PurpleChicken
Gold Member

AKA Barg wrote:

Oops wrong forum  rotfl

That was truly evil.  Good one.  joy

May A Chicken Smile Upon You

#35 02-05-2008 05:27:44

AKA Steve
Web Master

In truth, I think this topic is fine, although I don't endorse anyones point of view in particular, it is a hot topic in this country (USA).
I have not yet read every word and do want to caution against any racist comments(for the record), I have not seen any so far, but as I said, I have not read the whole thing yet. From what I have seen it seems fairly civil big_smile

Nesbits Avatar: Arnold Rimmer - the Hologram, and his friend Mr. Flibble
www.mrsnesbitsdiner.com/forum   Nesbits Forum

#36 02-05-2008 05:50:36

RepoBob
Gold Member

I really have a tuff time with this one. ( I wanna use that little head scratching smiley guy, but I can't find him.)

On the surface I say heck yes they should all learn English. That's one of the things that tie us together as a society.
But then I look at history....
Back in the days when this country was 13 colonies the people in the area that we now call the Southwest (Calirornia, Arizona, Texas, New Mexico etc) were Spanish speaking. That's because England settled the East cost and Spain settled the West cost. As the US grew people who spoke english moved to the SouthWest. They flourished and prospered and for what ever reason the spanish speaking population became the minority. As a patriotic American I say Manifest Destiny. But as a human being I say they are comming to get their land back. Countries can change borders without a shooting war.

If we want to be one country though, I believe we must mandate one language. If we have to pass laws to do it then we must, or we will end up losing our identy as American.

Bob

My grandparents came from Poland, and I can remember them critizing other Polish imigrants who would not learn English.

Last edited by RepoBob (02-05-2008 05:53:12)

:cleg :cleg Anyone that is interested in swapping some eggs check out the Wild Egg Chain. :cleg :cleg
Its in the Chicken Buy Sell and Trade Forum

#37 02-05-2008 06:32:09

Southern28Chick
Silver Member
Website

AKA Barg wrote:

Oops wrong forum  rotfl

OMG!!!  I bout fell out my chair!  DON'T do that!  ofl

25 Hens, 1 Rooster, 3 Nigerian Dwarf Does, 1 Nigerian Dwarf Buck, 1 Nigerian Dwarf Wether, 1 Shepherd/Husky mix dog, 2 House Cats, 4 Barn Cats, 1 Cockatiel (who has passed) and 1 Very Understanding DH!

And we all live here, at Southern Essence Acres
www.southern-essence.com

#38 02-05-2008 09:37:33

bantamchick

haha

#39 02-05-2008 09:39:29

nccountrygirl
Gold Member

Yes and ofl

My name is Laura and I'm a SC girl chickenwalkin

If wishes were horses beggers would ride and if frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their butts. :exc     Ann Taylor Bell -- my mom

#40 02-06-2008 01:42:05

Pinenot

If I went anywhere else, I would have to learn the land language. Yes!

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent