Mrs.Nesbit's Diner - Message Board / Forum

At CC

You are not logged in.

Announcement

WebSite Links: CC HomePage  MrsNesbits Homepage  Guinea Pigs Home Crochet Home  The CC Store

Pic Of The week

Happy Christmas & Merry New Year
Categories and forums are based on the topics generated by our Members.

#41 02-06-2008 03:15:22

2dream
Silver Member

Re: Should Immigrants Have to Learn English?

Yes they should learn English.  I can not see me arriving in Brazil and expecting them to publish all literature in English so I could read it. 
From the way I understand the system - if you are to become a LEGAL Citizen you have to be able to pass a language test.   So we
are spending millions of dollars trying to communicate with people who are not even suppose to be here.  Our Tax Dollars At Work.shrug

I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it. (Jimmy Stewart as Elwood Dowd in Harvey)

#42 02-10-2008 09:28:59

Seminolewind
Platinum Member

YES!!!!  If I moved to a different country, it would be  disrespectful to not learn their language.
My neighbor wants to chat all the time, he has been here 3 years that I know of.  He only speaks Spanish, and I was stumbling thru my 8th grade Spanish.  Enabling!!!  Now I wave and don't go over to the fence. If he so happens to speak to me, "I don't understand)

I was going to be good, but I got bored
  http://www.myspace.com/kseminolewind

#43 02-10-2008 09:47:45

RepoBob
Gold Member

Hippychick said "If he so happens to speak to me, "I don't understand"

That's exactly the way it should be. clap. If we quit coddeling these people they could learn the language or have an interperater with them when they want to interact. I got a speeding ticket a few years ago, and went to court. The first thing the judge asked the courtroom was does anyone need an interperator. One Hispanic gentelman raised his hand. The court immediately got him an interperator and he went first. So I had to wait because I spoke the language, plus my tax dollars paid because this guy couldn't take the time or show enough respect to learn the language. Sounds fair to me. My attitude eould have been "The court has an interperator for $100 per apperance, you should have brought one with you." Maybe we could spend the money we spent coddeling this imigrant on books for the kids in school. Just a thought.

:cleg :cleg Anyone that is interested in swapping some eggs check out the Wild Egg Chain. :cleg :cleg
Its in the Chicken Buy Sell and Trade Forum

#44 02-10-2008 10:24:12

Blisschick
Gold Member

RepoBob wrote:

...Back in the days when this country was 13 colonies the people in the area that we now call the Southwest (Calirornia, Arizona, Texas, New Mexico etc) were Spanish speaking. That's because England settled the East cost and Spain settled the West cost. As the US grew people who spoke english moved to the SouthWest. They flourished and prospered and for what ever reason the spanish speaking population became the minority. As a patriotic American I say Manifest Destiny. But as a human being I say they are comming to get their land back. Countries can change borders without a shooting war...

My grandparents came from Poland, and I can remember them critizing other Polish imigrants who would not learn English.

I agree with this assessment.  The Mexicans and Spanish where in this particular area of the county long before our ancestors came and settled the area.  Heck, they had to get permission from Mexico to do it!  Spanish has been around for a long time, and to think that it should "go away" in public is just ridiculous.  It's an integral part of our culture here.

I also agree that if you move to a country where a certain language is predominately spoken, you should learn how to speak it.  It's only to your benefit.  Personally, I'm nosey and a bit paranoid when I'm around non-English speaking people, because I want to know what's being said!

I grew up between Houston and an area about 60 miles northeast of there.  It was like day and night, and even in Houston, my grandparents lived in two different sorts of neighborhoods.  My mother's mom lived in what had become a predominately Hispanic neighborhood, so I was around Spanish speaking people from an early age.  Writing about all this brings back a flood of memories, things I know I didn't experience at my other grandma's house on the other side of town.  They lived in a white, middle-income neighborhood, and you never saw pig heads in the meat department. roll  Speaking of not looking the stereotype...one of the neighbor's kids next to Granny's house had red hair.  I always thought he looked rather odd compared to his siblings, but that was way before I understood that many Mexicans have Spainard blood (as well as me...long story).

My mother's parents came over from Louisiana in the 1930's.  My granny told me that she didn't know how to speak anything but Cajun French, and that she taught herself how to speak English by reading the newspapers.  It also helped that Grampa spoke English as well.  I learned a bit of French from her, as well as my mom and her siblings, but none of them spoke fluent French, just enough to get them by for visits back in Louisiana.  My dad's mother's parents were Polish, so he's taught me a few words here and there.  My great-grandparents spoke both fluently, but I'm sure did a lot of translating for their parents. I guess the whole point I'm trying to make is that I'm not predjudiced against any persons of different nationality or culture (and I'm not saying anyone here is), but no matter where you are from and what your primary language is, like it has been said, you should learn the language.  I agree, if I were in another country, I would be busting my butt to learn the language, simply to survive and to be able to communicate.  I took a year of Spanish in high school, and it helped me tremendously in situations where I've needed it.  Funny thing is, I was doing better in Spanish than I was in English! haha

As far as illegal immigration goes, I think it's a problem that got out of control a long time ago, and too little too late is being done, so now everyone is crying about it.  If steps had been taken year and years back to make it not as easy and had put some sort of implementation in place to assist those who wanted to come over, instead of making it "forbidden", I don't think it would have come to what it has now, with human smuggling, etc.  Human nature is to want something you can't have, and to take advantage of the system when you can, so it doesn't surprise me things have gotten out of hand.  People are mad because jobs are being taken away from them, but tell me who is going to do a lot of those jobs at the wages these people are paid?  As and American, I can say that this is one area where we have gotten too high and mighty and started looking down our noses at "grunge work."  Do I think they should be here illegally doing this work?  No.  They should have to pay taxes just like us here.  That's what funds our government.  But should we whine when we see those jobs going to people who are willing to do them, just because we feel we're entitled to more pay and benefits?  No.  You have the right to refuse, and they have the right to survive.  I also do not agree with people hiring illegals and paying them under the table.  If I have to fill out paperwork, take a drug test, and all but submit to a full cavity search, they should too.  I could go on about other stuff, but I think I've probably said enough at this point.

Stacey

♥Blue Laced Red Wyandottes♥Jersey Giants♥Easter Eggers♥Buff Laced Polish♥Mixed Heritage Turkeys♥4 dogs♥16 cats♥2 teenagers

#45 02-10-2008 05:37:45

Rooster-Red
Silver Member

It is disrespectful for ANYONE to live in ANY country and not learn to speak the language.

"Yeah... Here come the Rooster...Ah yeah"
"We have seen the enemy... and he is us" -Pogo Possum

#46 02-10-2008 06:34:43

cherndon712
Grammy Award Member

Here in Wyoming, my kids are required to have 3 years of a foreign language to graduate...Um...I didn't! And, they start in preschool here with spanish for 2 years, then on to french, then german. It WAS an elective when I graduated 9 years ago...I think it's unfair to require them to learn these languages, when immigrants aren't required to learn ours.

Crystal 
~Silkies, Mille Fleur d'Uccles, Seramas, Buff Orps, and a crazy variety of other chickens!
~Bourbon Red and Pencilled Palm Turkeys
~BEI, Runners, Cayuga and Rouen Ducks, Toulose and Mixed Geese

#47 02-10-2008 09:16:34

BluRoo

If I went to Mexico, India, China, Japan or a lot of other places.They would not like having their government spending their tax money to teach me English when that is my language. So, I don't like my tax dollars going to pay for Mexicans to take Spanish classes when if they choose to live here they should have to speak OUR language! If you think of how much our government is spending to accomodate them, it will make you sick. Having to hire bi-lingual teachers, having to print official documents in 2 languages and on and on.....Then the companies that are spending more for packaging just to print it in 2 or more languages!  Who do you think winds up paying for this?  You guessed it....you and I.   I say if you are going to live in ROME do as the ROMANS do!

Man's best friend........GOD

#48 02-11-2008 04:24:56

Basia
Platinum Member
Website

My husband is from Poland and he speaks English... (He is also an American Citizen now) His mother is coming to live with us... She is 61 and doesn't know English but is learning... because as she says (roughly translated) "If I am to live in America I will learn to speak American English".
This is good because my Polish stinks LOL (except things I shouldn't say  ofl )

"Quite Literally true that we are StarDust.  In the highest exulted way one could use that phrase."  Neil deGrasse Tyson

#49 02-11-2008 04:26:54

Basia
Platinum Member
Website

Rooster-Red wrote:

It is disrespectful for ANYONE to live in ANY country and not learn to speak the language.

EXACTLY!

"Quite Literally true that we are StarDust.  In the highest exulted way one could use that phrase."  Neil deGrasse Tyson

#50 02-11-2008 06:38:10

paganfish
The Ancient Chicken Sage

judymae wrote:

Last week a little girl made the news because she fought her school district over learning spanish.  The school requires all students to learn a different language but the only class they had available was a spanish class.  The little girl and her mother asked if she could learn french.  The school district said they couldn't accomodate them.  Well they took it to a local news station.  The school can accomodate the non english speaking kids and can require the other students to learn a second language but they would only provide a spanish class for them.  Not fair.  The student has to actually teach herself french.  The school told  her she could bring tapes and books and use the library to learn french but they weren't going to provide her with the instruction.  So sad when a child wants to learn something and the school says no.  Why would the school only offer Spanish?  There are so many other languages spoken in our country.

I agree with this...to a point. I don't think ANY one should be forced to learn ANY language than their own...one in use in their country.

About learning a different language. A part of me is wondering what is more practical...I won't use French as an example because the kid can use it if he/she ever wanted to move to say...Quebec, Canada.

Let's say it's a different language, - Italian vs Spanish - one that is strictly European in nature...who's closer? Mexico or Italy? I mean, if the kid's going to grow up in Italy or use Italian to further his/her career I am all for it but, it just does not seem practical to learn a language that you'd require to use FAR away vs one you can use with a next door country. Or in the case of someone who is of some descent in your family...someone mentioned having a Polish relative for example. This is also true of learning ASL if there is a Deaf/HH relative in family. Though on a side note...I think ASL is awesome and people could benefit from learning...I mean, it can help an American Deaf/HH person. It is American Sign Language and it is beautiful!

Again, just thinking practical here. roll

Like I said, NO one should be forced to learn a language (other than what they need in the country they live in). It should just be something kids could BE encouraged to do...learn a different language. Learn about a/many different culture/s. I know I am MUCH richer for knowing both cultures. Mexican AND American.

My mind is not as narrow as those that wish to NOT learn English and want Americans to cater to them while living IN America...and those that DON'T want to learn ANY other language other than their own.

JMHO.

Pedro cool

PS Incidentally...I speak MUCH better English than a lot of people I know were BORN here...what's up with that? shrug

PS2 Should immigrants learn the language of the country they live in...YES! I agree wholeheartedly! :exc

Last edited by paganfish (02-11-2008 06:45:45)

"I put a capital N on nature and call it my church."
-Frank Lloyd Wright
smile

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent