Mrs.Nesbit's Diner - Message Board / Forum

At CC

You are not logged in.

Announcement

WebSite Links: CC HomePage  MrsNesbits Homepage  Guinea Pigs Home Crochet Home  The CC Store

Pic Of The week

Happy Christmas & Merry New Year
Categories and forums are based on the topics generated by our Members.

#71 06-18-2008 10:19:44

ab2401
Silver Member

Re: Should Immigrants Have to Learn English?

*I read the the question and skipped the rest, sorry*

YES!, and I hate having to press 2 (or 1) for English.

#72 07-24-2008 09:12:37

M1Garand
Website

My only experience with this is my friend Marco from El Salvador. He came here seeking political asylum, (the only way is to get in illegally, then ask for asylum). It took him 26 days of walking to get in. He is still in the long process to become a citizen. He LOVES this country, and has learned english very well. He owns his own home, works very hard, and is more of an american to me than some of the ungrateful America haters that were born here. IMO....come to America, LEARN ENGLISH!

On a lighter note.....

Since I never answer my home phone anymore (we use cell phones mostly), I had a little fun with my answering machine. Since I work in the telecommunications industry, I had access to a small voicemail system with an automated attendant. It says, "You have reached the L______ residence. Para continuar en espanole, marque el numero nueve. To speak to or leave a message for D____  press 1, for C______ press2, and for N______ press 3." If you press 9, I say in spanish that the residence you have called only speaks english. Please try your call again in english.  Then it dumps you back to the main menu. My wife thinks it's stupid, but I (and many of my peers) think it's hysterical. It also has a side benefit I found accidentally. When telemarketing robo-calls come in, as soon as the speech recognition software hears spanish, it drops the call, when it used to stay on the line and record its crap in the general mailbox. lafcry

BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! .....pa-ting!
65 years old and still going strong  US RIFLE CAL .30 M1  #3105XXX
Thank you John Garand, Springfield Armory, and the men who fired them to save the world

My Coop and Run   http://www.geocities.com/ody_the_dog/Co … _Page.html

#73 09-23-2008 05:15:50

sirjohnsebright

Hi Broncbuster,

The reason languages are required in high school is because it really is good for you, kinda like spinach.  You talk about diversity, learning another language really covers that area.  I am learning Spanish right now, and am thrilled to be doing so, even though it is really hard.  It really adds value to your life, and given the opportunity, can be helpful to others.

#74 12-07-2008 10:53:43

featherpets

my answer...yes smile

Be kind to all animals! They are gifts from God to nurture, protect and love!

1 Enormous EE Roo who thinks he is the baddest bird in the land, and some girls (1 EE, 1 BO, 1 SLW, 2 BR's, 1 RIR, 1 white rock & 2 blue andalusian's)

#75 10-11-2009 12:39:51

lgarr

by learing to speak another language, it betters your self and you gain a better education, as for students learning another language, they can make more money when they go into the world, they pay more to people who can speak more than one language:beating

#76 10-11-2009 02:27:48

BantyChickMom
The Hooker Coordinator

I think it's a great idea if we know 2 languages, but I don't think we should HAVE to learn spanish to communicate with anyone who comes to a country where English is the dominant language.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho the rest of your life
                                            Tammy
                               www.mrsnesbitsdiner.com

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent