Mrs.Nesbit's Diner - Message Board / Forum

At CC

You are not logged in.

Announcement

WebSite Links: CC HomePage  MrsNesbits Homepage  Guinea Pigs Home Crochet Home  The CC Store

Pic Of The week

Happy Christmas & Merry New Year
Categories and forums are based on the topics generated by our Members.

• Index
  •  » Dogs
  •  » Dixie is going to turn 5 years old

#1 05-16-2008 07:38:59

B&C Ranch
Grammy Award Member

Dixie is going to turn 5 years old

Just thought I would share that my best girl is turning 5 years old next month - every birthday Dixie has is turely amazing - her life did not start out easy and got harder as she got older thankfully she has overcome everything and is still a huge part of our family --

for those who dont know her story I will tell it again --

Dixie is a beagle/basset hound who was born into a litter of 12 puppies - her mother stopped feeding the litter when they were only 3 weeks old - the owner of the mommy did not want to be bothered with keeping the pups alive so started handing them out to whoever was around - sadly not all the pups survived - Dixie was the last one to go I fell in love with her big brown eyes and long soft ears, so she came home with us,  soon after getting her she got the nickname of DooDoo seems everytime I turned around she had to go potty LOL

when Dixie was about 4 weeks old a friend and his family came to visit - their little 3 yr old son picked Dixie up and dropped her head first onto the cement steps in front of the house - thankfully she was fine -

DH soon realized Dixie has a birthmark -- he calls it her lucky paw print

When Dixie was a year old me and DH were out of town during the july 4 holiday - we had left a friend in charge of careing for our dogs - at the time only had 3 lol -

well as the night went on and fireworks went up it scared the mess out of the dogs they got out of the yard and took off. Some dumb people saw Dixie running down the side of the road and thought it would be great fun to kick her around like a soccer ball ( witness across street told us what happened ) they had been drinking and thought it would be funny - so the whole group took turns hitting and kicking her - when they were done they left her in the gutter hurt bleeding and scared - it started to rain and she stayed there all night - we got a call from the pound the next morning and rushed her to the vet. Vet found her to have a broken pelvis on both sides , cut and bruises along her body and head tramua, she also has perment nerve damage to her front leg.
It took her a year to be able to walk, run and jump again - she lost total use of her front leg and still suffers from the damage her body took.

Last year Dixie became the proud momma to 10 babies - she and my boxer Wally had a fling. She had 8 boys 2 girls - she had to have an emergency C-section due to the fact her pelvis never fully recoverd ( we also had her fixed at this time ). All her pups lived and all found wonderful loving homes.

My Dixie now has to hop everywhere she goes which gave her a new nickname of Pops !  she also goes by poppygirl.

She is my best friend and every birthday for her is a speical one - we truely love this cranky ole dog.

#2 05-16-2008 08:13:00

Chick A Boom
Academy Award Member

Re: Dixie is going to turn 5 years old

joy  Happy Birthday Dixie! joy

I like her lucky paw print that is cool!

"Real Integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not."

#3 05-16-2008 08:48:45

B&C Ranch
Grammy Award Member

I checked everyone of her babies as they grew up not a one had a pawprint on them ! so I guess she is just one of a kind that girl.

she is cranky in the morning always growling and if we try to move her while she is sleeping we get growled at and when I mess with her while she is laying down I get growled at and when she is too hot/cold she growls LOL  but she has never bite anyone - I think most of the growling is for fun and even after those idiots beat her she still LOVES everyone, and is still the most lovable dog we have.

#4 05-16-2008 10:54:29

B&C Ranch
Grammy Award Member

She is our wonder girl - there are times she is so darn stubborn ( its a hound dog thing ) but I am so happy she is as healthy as she can be and that she is still going strong. Her vet says it is because me and Dixie have such a strong bond that me and her were able to pull her through all the mess.

while she was recovering from her broken pelvis I had to carry her outside and put a towel under her to lift her up so she could go potty, she had no bladder control so at times would go potty on her bed which I had to wash a few times daily and she had to have a bath daily - she was also taking pills 3 times a day for pain and the nerve damage - it took her 6 months to be able to stand and another 6 months to be able to walk on her own.

But she is doing wonderful now and can out run all the other dogs in the house and loves to run and play in the snow !!

#5 05-16-2008 12:27:24

robin416
Platinum Member
Website

I read about Dixie's b'day this morning and I had to leave it alone. The urge to go find those damn fools and kick the hell out of them was over whelming. And what was wrong with the dang neighbor that they didn't do something? I get so wound up when I read stories like this. I get torn by wanting vigilante justice for doing what they did to that poor animal and wanting to hold her.

She's special, very, very special. And fortunate to have her humans taking care of her. I hope you all have many more years to enjoy each other and provide the emotional support that you seem to share.

Robin in Mid S. TN
www.silkiesofsummertown.com
Search out and buy Made in America

#6 05-16-2008 12:34:19

Hencackle
Thread Killer

Bless your heart B&C and Dixie's too.  People that mistreat animals shouldn't be allowed to breed.
I didn't know Dixie's story, thank you for sharing it and giving her sad story a happily-ever-after ending. love

I've got a FOWL mouth!
cool Song  = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6WVNN_DJe0

"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

#7 05-16-2008 03:54:42

B&C Ranch
Grammy Award Member

We never knew why the witness who saw all these people hurting Dixie never came out that night- they only thing we could think is maybe because the people were drunk and the witness was scaried ? the only reason we were able to find Dixie in the morning is because I give all the dogs a tag with our names & number on it.

The people were never arrested for what they did, I am sure they dont even remember her or that night but me and Dixie have to deal with everyday. The vet said her bladder is totally shot she has accidents in her sleep and cant help it so she sleeps on a blanket in the bathroom at night.  All the trama her body took - vet said it aged her she has problems now with her joints and hips that an older dog would have not a 5 yr old.

Hencackle - Dixie will have a long and happy life - I will make sure of it - she is more than a dog to me after all this happened she is more like my kid.

• Index
  •  » Dogs
  •  » Dixie is going to turn 5 years old

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent