Mrs.Nesbit's Diner - Message Board / Forum

At CC

You are not logged in.

Announcement

WebSite Links: CC HomePage  MrsNesbits Homepage  Guinea Pigs Home Crochet Home  The CC Store

Pic Of The week

Happy Christmas & Merry New Year
Categories and forums are based on the topics generated by our Members.

#1 05-21-2008 07:42:04

Seminolewind
Platinum Member

Free Masons

I just learned about Free Masons while reading about G Washington.  It seems that alot of real famous people are members.  Turns out I like their philosophy.  I don't think they allow women in.  Thoughts on Free Masons?

I was going to be good, but I got bored
  http://www.myspace.com/kseminolewind

#2 05-21-2008 08:41:53

Frozen Feathers
Gold Member

Re: Free Masons

All I know is my Grandpa was a Freemason and I can only say what I've seen, because it was never talked about.

Most of the small Maine town (pop. 1300 or so )he lived in is Freemason as well. It does appear to be a "Men only" organization. It's very secretive and I really have no idea what it's really about, only that one is to be charitable and live a good life. My Grandfather was in the National Guard for 30 years (though never called to war) was a member of the Shiners, involved in Boy Scouts, was the Lodge Secretary...etc, etc.

As far as I know it is not a religion, but a lifestyle, a boys club.

At his funeral the men wore aprons, carried pine needles...or that is what they looked to me. A white leather apron was placed on my Grandfather each one stood in front of my grandfather's casket pointed to the sky and placed the pine needles with him. Some sort of ritual of sending off their brother and pay respect.

Last edited by Frozen Feathers (05-21-2008 08:42:09)

Chicken fanatic....that's me! Proud Mama of Hiro and his harem of EE's and layers.

Yes I keep Silkies...yes they are real chickens...yes they are spoiled little brats. chickie3

#3 05-21-2008 08:59:03

Blisschick
Gold Member

I think the women's counterpoint organization is called the Order of the Eastern Star, or something like that.  When doing my genealogy research, I've come across a few headstones in cemeteries around here with them on it, so I looked it up.  Yes, the Freemasons are very secretive.  I've heard that some of their rituals are a bit questionable when it comes to conflicts with Christianity, but then I don't know enough about them to say whether this is true or not.

Stacey

♥Blue Laced Red Wyandottes♥Jersey Giants♥Easter Eggers♥Buff Laced Polish♥Mixed Heritage Turkeys♥4 dogs♥16 cats♥2 teenagers

#4 05-21-2008 05:36:44

Spotted Crow
Silver Member

My Grandfather was a Scotch Rite, Blue Lodge, Purple Lodge and Red Lodge Mason, then a Shriner and a Templar...
My sister and I were Rainbow Girls which is the female side of things. After that you can go onto Eastern Star.
I stuck it out longer than my sister and managed to be the Flag Bearers, do most of the Rainbow Colour Stations, and Confidential Observer and Chorus.
Both men and women can be in Eastern Star.
Here's a tiny bit of things about Freemasonry...
the only conflicts with Christianity is that their rituals are based more on Judaic traditions...there's nothing to do with satan or witchcraft or any other codswallop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
I used to help my grandfather go over some of his rituals. 
Basically Service to community is first and foremost.
Almost ALL of the United States' Founding Fathers were FreeMasons.

#5 05-22-2008 07:52:59

Seminolewind
Platinum Member

I can't even be an eastern star cause no one in my family is one.  I just find that I like the Free Mason philosophy, and don't think there is any devil worship stuff in there. 
   Darlene, if we were related, I could become an Eastern Star.  How could we do that?  Does my roo and your hen getting married count?

I was going to be good, but I got bored
  http://www.myspace.com/kseminolewind

#6 05-24-2008 01:09:40

Spotted Crow
Silver Member

If you know some one who is a Mason, they can recommend you.
http://www.freemasoninformation.com/2b1ask1.htm
This is a bit on how to go about being a Mason...
http://www.easternstar.org/eligibility.htm
this is eligibility for Eastern Star.

#7 06-01-2008 01:01:19

unionwirewoman

Don't laugh too hard but......I was told that the Masonic Temple were the ones controling the government and they have been for 150 years . Of course the guy that told me this also said that Bush planted bombs in the Twin Towers , and that they were going to send a nuclear bomb up to one of the planets to create a new sun and kill off 90% of the world who didn't live underground . Oh and he said that the trails of smoke from airplanes are chem trails that the government drops on us to experiment on the people . shocked

Be true , Be yourself , But most importantly....be YOURSELF ! If you can't look yourself in the mirror each morning , and know that you are a good person...then what the hell are you living for !!!!

#8 06-01-2008 01:40:34

AKA Steve
Web Master

unionwirewoman wrote:

and that they were going to send a nuclear bomb up to one of the planets to create a new sun and kill off 90% of the world who didn't live underground . O shocked

Not to fear, Jupiter, the largest planet in our solar system, does have the basic chemistry to become a sun, but it is far too small to become one, it just doesn't have enough mass; and besides, if we tried to ignite Jupiter and make it a sun, the aliens that live in the oceans of Europa would get really pissed off, and I'm sure the government doesn't want that headache. rotflol

Nesbits Avatar: Arnold Rimmer - the Hologram, and his friend Mr. Flibble
www.mrsnesbitsdiner.com/forum   Nesbits Forum

#9 06-01-2008 01:44:58

unionwirewoman

AKA Barg wrote:

unionwirewoman wrote:

and that they were going to send a nuclear bomb up to one of the planets to create a new sun and kill off 90% of the world who didn't live underground . O shocked

Not to fear, Jupiter, the largest planet in our solar system, does have the basic chemistry to become a sun, but it is far too small to become one, it just doesn't have enough mass; and besides, if we tried to ignite Jupiter and make it a sun, the aliens that live in the oceans of Europa would get really pissed off, and I'm sure the government doesn't want that headache. rotflol

I beg to differ......all the humans now are pissed off....why not drag the aliens into it ?yay

Be true , Be yourself , But most importantly....be YOURSELF ! If you can't look yourself in the mirror each morning , and know that you are a good person...then what the hell are you living for !!!!

#10 06-18-2008 10:00:33

kindacrochety
Gold Member

My Great Grandpa was a Mason and when Grandpa passed away, we found Great Grandpa's ring, Master's Jewel and apron tucked in a drawer. I slipped the ring on a finger and it went on like it was meant to be there. I contacted the lodge that was closest to me and we did a little digging in their records. The Lodge that Great Grandpa helped to found no longer existed in its original form but they did have a little museum that had him listed and some of the things that he accomplished. I then asked for permission to keep wearing the ring-even though I am a woman and not a Mason. They were very gracious and quite pleased that I even bothered to ask-and, up to 2 weeks ago, the ring has not left my finger. (It has to have the shank replaced and the stone was starting to seem a little loose and I didn't want to take any chances of losing it). Interesting thing about it, I have met many Masons because of it-they are always curious as to why I wear the ring (I am sure that Great Grandpa D. is looking out for me smile ) and if I know of its significance. Not one has ever seemed upset or bothered by it-they have all seemed quite pleased that the 80 year old ring and its former wearer are remembered.

Build something idiot-proof.....and they will build a better idiot
"I like cats too! Let's exchange recipes....!

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent