Mrs.Nesbit's Diner - Message Board / Forum

At CC

You are not logged in.

Announcement

WebSite Links: CC HomePage  MrsNesbits Homepage  Guinea Pigs Home Crochet Home  The CC Store

Pic Of The week

Happy Christmas & Merry New Year
Categories and forums are based on the topics generated by our Members.

#1 10-03-2008 03:54:49

AKA Steve
Web Master
Website

Guinea Pig Mites

For a while now we have been fighting mites in our guinea pigs.
If you read my previous posts on Joey, and subsequently sally, you know that we adopted sally, a few months ago, from the animal shelter.
What we didn't know was that, sally came with her own pets.... Mites.
http://etherbunnyonline.home.comcast.net/chickens/mitessally.jpg
She started loosing bits of hair, but nothing serious.
This went on for a while and she would loose a small clump, then grow it back; we thought that it might just be the type of pig she was, having a different type of fur then Joey.

This was an on-off thing for a while and then, joey suddenly started to lose fur.
Unlike sally, joey lost his hair fast, got sick and was really having problems.
He lost about half of his fur in a few days, and we knew we had to take him to the vet.

The vet confirmed what we had already learned from our own research, that they had mites, charging us $50. for the information, and then charging us for the medication as well.

As is standard, they prescribed ivermectine (sp) and antibiotics.

Joey has not fully recovered yet, and I am hopeful that he will; he has grown most of his hair back, but he still has some healing to do.
http://etherbunnyonline.home.comcast.net/chickens/mitesjoey.jpg
http://etherbunnyonline.home.comcast.net/chickens/mitesinjury.jpg

Nesbits Avatar: Arnold Rimmer - the Hologram, and his friend Mr. Flibble
www.mrsnesbitsdiner.com/forum   Nesbits Forum

#2 10-03-2008 04:30:14

johnnyjack
gone fishing
Website

Re: Guinea Pig Mites

poor guys . i hope they do ok and get the fur back before it gets to cold on them.

#3 10-03-2008 05:22:13

Queen of the Lilliputians
Gone fishing
Website

YIKES!  I hate mites..

Out of curiousity, what % is the ivermectin you are using?  Jeez.. might as well just use the feedstore stuff on ALL of the animals, since it seems like ivermectin is prescribed for everything lol (just an fyi- not suggesting everyone do this.  As a matter of fact, I've heard it can be poisonous to some dogs, especially collies)

Poor little GPs.  Hope it all clears up for them.  Ya know, My ds still misses his girl something awful.  This summer when we went to the fair, they had several cages full of baby guinea pigs.  He just stared at them, and got so very quiet.  They are special little guys, no doubt about it.

Meghan

Former ruler-wielding nun at a catholic school

#4 10-03-2008 05:39:35

BantyChickMom
The Hooker Coordinator

They are so cute!!!!

How are they doing now, after the meds?
Any signs of mites still there?

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho the rest of your life
                                            Tammy
                               www.mrsnesbitsdiner.com

#5 10-08-2008 08:57:41

AKA Steve
Web Master
Website

It's not really possible to tell if there are any sign of mites.
I used to be into 35mm slr photography, so I have a couple cameras and lenses, one of which is a 28 mm lens; of you take a 28 mm lens of the camera and use it to look at stuff, you can see extreme magnification, but even using that, it was impossible to see the mites.

These type of mites only effect Rabbits and Guinea pigs, they cause flaking of the skin and, the mites themselves look like skin flakes.
The vet had to take skin scrapings and then look under a microscope to confirm the diagnosis.

Before we got sally, joy lived in too small of a cage; the cages they sell in the pet stores are too small, they seem ok when the pigs are young, but slowly they grow, and before you know it they have no room to move around anymore.

While joey was in his , too small cage, his nails kinda got out of control from lack of running around, we have tried to get them back under control, but its difficult with his black nails; as a result, his scratching did more damage to him then it otherwise would have.

I can report that I have not seen him seizure for several days now; which indicates that he is getting alot better.

This ends the contrived, instructional portion of the post; now on to the latest pictures rotflol

I should have taken some pictures while his hair was at it's worst, to compare, but you can see that he has gotten a bit better then he was in the last set, although he is not quite there yet.
http://etherbunnyonline.home.comcast.net/chickens/mitesjoeyfix2.jpg

Here he is, resting next to his girl friend. Can't see her?
http://etherbunnyonline.home.comcast.net/chickens/mitesjoeyfix1.jpg

That's because she like to curl up under the towel.
Just like a woman to hog all the blanket (hog- pig, no pun intended) rotflol
http://etherbunnyonline.home.comcast.net/chickens/mitessallyfix1.jpg

Nesbits Avatar: Arnold Rimmer - the Hologram, and his friend Mr. Flibble
www.mrsnesbitsdiner.com/forum   Nesbits Forum

#6 10-08-2008 02:55:49

Queen of the Lilliputians
Gone fishing
Website

Wow Steve, those mites sound a lot like the ones that cause mange in dogs!

Glad your vet found it, what a pain in the bum.  Your pigs are adorable (love that one under the blanket!!)

Former ruler-wielding nun at a catholic school

#7 10-09-2008 08:50:34

Akane
Gold Member

Mites are only visible under a microscope.  They are extremely common in guinea pigs and sometimes the only sign of them is a pig that dislikes being handled.  They are so common and actually hard to diagnose until they become severe with lots of hairloss and itching that guinea pig rescues treat all new pigs for mites as standard protocol.  For $50 you can get a bottle of liquid ivermectin and treat about 1200lbs worth of guinea pigs.  I did that when I was rescuing pigs.  You can also use horse dewormer if you dilute it and revolution sold for cats and dogs if you measure carefully.  A very small syringe such as a diabetic syringe (some pharmacy will give them out if you say it's for a pet) or 1cc syringe from a vet or calvetsupply.com is needed.  Feedstores don't sell under a 3cc syringe which is very hard to measure with.

Info for doses can be found here http://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html

That is also the site to go through for any medical issue whatsoever with a guinea pig.  They have far more knowledge than even most exotics vets and several of the best exotics vets in the country participating or in contact with the members.

I have nothing to hatch!

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent