Mrs.Nesbit's Diner - Message Board / Forum

At CC

You are not logged in.

Announcement

WebSite Links: CC HomePage  MrsNesbits Homepage  Guinea Pigs Home Crochet Home  The CC Store

Pic Of The week

Happy Christmas & Merry New Year
Categories and forums are based on the topics generated by our Members.

#1 10-17-2008 01:34:08

AKA Steve
Web Master
Website

Spreading the Wealth Around

Recently there has been alot of criticism of the obama campaign for wanting to spread the wealth around.
The implication is that, what will happen is that the government will take money from the wealthy and give it to the poor and middle class.
The truth is that what was proposed was that, taxes for the wealthy will be increased, while taxes for the poor and middle class will decrease.

The argument for this is that, it will stop job creation in this country. shocked

One thing to remember about our country is that our society is a consumer based one; we buy and sell stuff, that's what we do.
Many retail sales outlets buy things in bulk, and sell with very little mark up, the idea is to make up the profits in quantity.
With inflation running rampent, the average person is no longer able to purchase the things they once could, or would like to.
It may be true that Joe the plumber might not be able to start a business, if his taxes are raised, but that's ok... why?
Simple, if the poor and middle class continue to fall behind, loosing money to inflation, stagnant wages and no tax relief, while the rich get tax cuts they don't need combined with loopholes to avoid taxes, then it wont make any difference what joe the plumbers taxes are; if Joe don't got no customers, joe dont got no buiness, and joe sure aint got no employees.

If the wages of the poor and middle class go up, and Taxes are reduced on them, they will be able to buy things from people like joe the plumber, and the fact is that, joe may struggle to make ends meet when he first starts out, but as long as he makes it up in bulk, he will be ok, and if hes not ok, then maybe he will have to wait a little bit longer, in the mean time, a business that might have been has competitor, will discover that they have more business then they used to; and though they may be paying a little more in taxes, they can make it up in bulk, cause of the competitor has customers, it wont matter what his taxes are, competitor is makin money, and he aint laying off Jody the employee.

So to conclude, I ask you a simple question; assuming that you make less then 250k per year...
When you get the tax cut, is there anything that you have wanted to buy, that you haven't been able to?
I'd like to able to afford a candy bar, that's the first thing I'm gonna buy.

Pardon the run on sentences, but when I get on a roll........

Nesbits Avatar: Arnold Rimmer - the Hologram, and his friend Mr. Flibble
www.mrsnesbitsdiner.com/forum   Nesbits Forum

#2 10-17-2008 04:29:20

Queen of the Lilliputians
Gone fishing
Website

Re: Spreading the Wealth Around

AKA Barg wrote:

When you get the tax cut, is there anything that you have wanted to buy, that you haven't been able to?
I'd like to able to afford a candy bar, that's the first thing I'm gonna buy.

I'd just like to be able to go grocery shopping without having a panic attack the cost will go over how ever much money I have in my hand, and that I'll have to tell the clerk to put all the meat back.

And I'd like to not have to dig through my cupboard, looking for food that I hope is there, to make a balanced (if weird) meal for my family.

Meghan

Former ruler-wielding nun at a catholic school

#3 10-17-2008 02:52:05

BantyChickMom
The Hooker Coordinator

I'm with Meg on this one,  I'd like to go grocery shopping and be able to get everything we NEED as well as all 5 of us to be able to get one thing we WANT!

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho the rest of your life
                                            Tammy
                               www.mrsnesbitsdiner.com

#4 10-19-2008 06:30:06

baldmonkey
Banned
Website

It all sounds good now. But if the Reps wont go along with it what does it matter? Personally I think we should get rid of both parties. And start from scratch. I mean if both parties cant agree because some are Reps and some are Dems, and thats their excuse for not being able to get anything done. Then lets solve the problem by getting rid of both parties! As far as what i would buy. Some more firewood so we will stay warm all winter.

If at first you dont succeed, stop, sit down, and drink a beer!
http://www.dragonwynddesigns.com/
Father to many spoiled rotten chickens and 3 spoiled rotten dogs!!

#5 10-19-2008 08:10:01

Queen of the Lilliputians
Gone fishing
Website

just out of curiosity, what are we all debating?  Seems like we are all in the pay utilities-or-buy food boat.  sad

Meghan

Former ruler-wielding nun at a catholic school

#6 10-19-2008 05:43:34

Seminolewind
Platinum Member

I want the fair tax.  If you don't want to pay alot of taxes, don't buy anything.

Otherwise, I think taking from the rich and giving to the poor is communism.  The rich already pay alot more taxes than me.  So why should someone be penalized for being wealthy?

I was going to be good, but I got bored
  http://www.myspace.com/kseminolewind

#7 10-19-2008 05:56:33

AKA Steve
Web Master
Website

Sorry seminolwind, you have been fed a line, remember last year when you didn't really make more money because everything cost more and you didn't really get much of a raise, but Exxon had record profits while other big companies were reporting record salaries and bonuses for executives.
It's time to stop pretending that we need to keep taxes low on the rich, because when we get rich we will regret it; its time to realize the the rich are keeping us from getting there by exporting our jobs, taking all the profits and driving inflation while keeping salaries stagnant.

I agree with the ideas about some new blood running the country; the fair tax sounds ok, and I think they need to get rid of the loopholes that allow cooperation to avoid taxes.
I will add that, although I am not going to tell you that I think obama is going to fulfill his tax breaks on us, at least he isnt Saying that hes going to continue to allow the most wealthy to continue to take all the money.
I would say though that, if it were me, I would raise the price from 250K to somewhere in the millions.

#8 10-19-2008 08:06:23

Hencackle
Thread Killer

...but Exxon had record profits while other big companies were reporting record salaries and bonuses for executives.

A few years ago, after our company received the results of our annual general liability insurance audit, the letter from the insurance company claimed they lost money on us.  How?  If we've never had a claim for them to pay, all money collected from our company is basically easy money.  While they sit in their climate-controlled offices and making nice salaries....my husband and his employees are busting their butts on the roof at the mercy of the weather.  Of course, we were informed that we had to pay a certain sum by a given date.  The most offensive part about the situation was that according to the newspaper article printed a few weeks prior the audit, gas companies AND insurance companies had posted record profits.  Again, how did they lose money on us?

I've got a FOWL mouth!
cool Song  = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6WVNN_DJe0

"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

#9 10-20-2008 01:20:35

AKA Steve
Web Master
Website

Hencackle wrote:

...but Exxon had record profits while other big companies were reporting record salaries and bonuses for executives.

A few years ago, after our company received the results of our annual general liability insurance audit, the letter from the insurance company claimed they lost money on us.  How?  If we've never had a claim for them to pay, all money collected from our company is basically easy money.  While they sit in their climate-controlled offices and making nice salaries....my husband and his employees are busting their butts on the roof at the mercy of the weather.  Of course, we were informed that we had to pay a certain sum by a given date.  The most offensive part about the situation was that according to the newspaper article printed a few weeks prior the audit, gas companies AND insurance companies had posted record profits.  Again, how did they lose money on us?

It all depends on what your definition of loose is; in this case I'm thinking that some of the CEO's of the insurance company took some of your money, had a few drinks and then went down to the track; those 50 to ones don't always come in. mad

#10 10-20-2008 09:17:02

chickn
Double Platinum
Website

i come from both sides, my parents own a company and make a good amount of money and pay a lot in taxes, i prefer that they keep their money and help their own kids out who dont make as much money, not everyone else. why should their hard earned money go to help pay for someone  who doesnt work as hard, no way no how not right.

frizzled polish and polish, sizzles and silkies, std cochins, mille d'uccles,
always interested in trading eggs

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent