ChickenCrossing.Org

The Message Board for Pet Chicken People

You are not logged in.

Announcement

WebSite Links: CC HomePage  Chicken Photo Gallery  Coop Gallery  Chicken Links  Chick to Pullet Blog  The Chicken Crossing Store

Chicken Crossing Forum and Message Board

#11 03-31-2009 05:28:46

amydixonjones

Re: Australorps Post Pictures of Yours

She is adorable! did you say you found her?  I just ordered 5 astralorps and don't know too much about them.  I hear they are good layers..  Mrs. Nezbit is gorgeous too!  would love to hear more about Australorps in general.  Like how big do they get?  Mrs Nezbit looks huge, wonder what she weighs!!! smile

#12 04-01-2009 09:48:26

lobzi

I found him, yes.  The story goes: I was walking home from work and he was running down the sidewalk in front of me.  I thought it was a baby bird fallen from the nest.  I looked for mom, sibs, and/or nest but found nothing.  I carried this little guy an hour to a park where he drank and drank water (May 1st was a blazing hot day here).  When I finally got him home I fed him raw hamburger thinking that would be the closest thing to worms I had available.  He ate and ate that an cooked carrots.  I carried him back to school with me the next day and it was the kids who recognized him as a chicken by his feet.  Knowing I was never going to be able to let him go back into nature, I raised him with the help of folks on Back Yard Chickens forum.  I knew nothing and had no proper set up for keeping a chicken.  It took me until I was off for summer to really give him a proper set up.  By then, he was my best buddy.  We are nearly inseparable.  I did get some other chickens to keep him company, but he doesnt care for them much.  He thinks he is a human with feathers and prefer being with me.

#13 04-04-2009 07:52:22

godfry n. glad
Banned

A Frazzled Aussie! 

Throw another shrimp on the barbie!

#14 04-04-2009 08:04:39

Ladyhawke1

lobzi wrote:

Im pretty sure he is a mix but I was told Australorp + ?
No one knows what the ? is...
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/u … s_comb.jpg
As a youngster
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/u … ks0018.jpg
As a baby the night I found him
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/u … nd_her.jpg

He is adorable. I think he has Frizzel in him.  dancingdog

#15 04-10-2009 12:49:47

littlelimabean
Gold Member

I love that story. That chicken was in the right place at the right time when you found him. Thats weird though a little chicken alone walking down the side walk. They are escape artists when they are small like that though.

Pretty Pretty Chickens=Complete Happiness.  :> Mary :>

Rescue, adopt and advocate for poultry they need our voices.

#16 04-10-2009 05:32:08

lobzi

You know, I really think that he was (in the right place at the right time).... the area that I found him in is known for having a human population that raises chickens for cock fighting... that is what I suspect as his temperament is such that he doesnt fight with other chickens for "pecking order" but seems to want to fight for blood.  All of my other roosters cower to him but he still charges them and wants to fight.
He is lucky that I not only saved him from a violent death for the entertainment of humans, but that I love him so much and take the best care of him.  He is truly treated like a king.

#17 05-11-2009 04:00:54

leapdaybride

http://www.viewbug.com/media/mediafiles/2009/04/19/023442_img_1111w_ORIG_.jpg

31 chickens, 3 guineas, 2 dogs, 2 stray cats plus 2 kittens, 1 beautiful Himalayan (Coco) in memory, 1 irritated teenager, and my darlin' "Split Apart"!

#18 05-11-2009 04:20:27

Lissimore12
Platinum Member

very cute leapdaybride!

Welcome to CC! smile

Last edited by Lissimore12 (05-11-2009 04:20:49)

~ Alex ~

Dot&Dash <3

#19 05-27-2009 08:40:39

WILDLIFE

Houdini is my first Black Australorp rooster(He keeps escaping from the run!)
He rules the roost and his girls!Very sweet and friendly towards me though.Comes running whenever I come home.
I'd like to think he loves me as much as I love him,but I suspect he really just loves FOOD!

#20 05-27-2009 09:40:16

TerrasCritters
Platinum Member

Beautiful birds! Thanks for sharing!

Hugs TerrasCritters

Board footer

Return to Crossing Show Recent

Return to Nesbits Diner Show Recent